Vista Ready?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Robert Glenn

Vista Ready?

Post by Robert Glenn »

I've finally pulled together the budget for a new laptop and so now I'm in reasearch mode. My first question to answer is \"Vista or XP\". I've researched the forum and found conflicting data on success of Ecab on Vista. What I haven't found is a statment from Thermwood that Ecab is \"Vista Ready\". Has Thermwood formally endorsed the use of ecab on Vista?

Rob
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

A simple answer is no. E-cab is not ready for Vista.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Randy Prestridge

Post by Randy Prestridge »

But is there a definitive statement from Thermwood to that end? I'm a relatively new user of eCabinet, so I'm not a power user and haven't used all of the features of the software yet. But - I am running it on Vista and have not experienced any issues as of yet.
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

All,

I believe Jason stated in a previous post (search the ecabinet software forum for the keyword vista) that v6 will be both vista and xp compatible. I don't know what date they are plan to release v6.

Dale
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Jason quoted this:
I am really unsure when V5.2 and V6 will be released. Because we are changing the whole room layout area along with some other items, we want to make sure that it is a solid release. I would assume that V5.2 would come out sometime in the fall.
I have heard a few users using Vista, with no problems while yet others have hav quite a few.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

All, thanks for the comment.

I guess it's true, timing is everything and waiting for technology to change is stupid because it is always changing and you will always be waiting. I'm leaning towards taking the least risky path of buying the Dell now with XP and upgrading later rather than going with Vista. I just can't afford to have design and programing issues related to potential software compatability, that risk is not worth the extra cost of upgrading to Vista later.

Rob
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

My synonyms exactly.

\"synonyms\" is intentional here.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

I will try to clarify.

Version 5.x of eCabinet Systems is not Vista-compatible from a Thermwood support standpoint. There are workarounds, most notably the one put together by one of our developers, Rick Deskins. Because of Vista's User Account Control, simply installing the software without using Rick's workaround will invariably cause problems when it comes time to upgrade the software; it will run, but there'll be problems later on.

Version 6.x will be Vista-compatible; it's release date is still uncertain.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Michael Kowalchuk

Post by Michael Kowalchuk »

While I am no expert in all the nuances of Vista, I have been around PC's since the DOS3 days. I feel that anyone who has the choice on OS installs, should do some \"Googling\" first, for there are some issues with Vista that are causing some folks more than a little grief.

IMHO, I'd stick with XP-SP2 as long as it's supported by MS. Of course ensure you get as much memory (RAM) and Video memory (VRAM) as possible, and ensure that the PC does have a \"Vista ready\" endorsement, regardless.

Again, IMHO, the Vista advantages seem more \"gee whiz\" (however, there are some well needed security enhancements, but most are geared to large networks than to individual users) and less related sheer productivity. While it's where all Windows users will eventually have to go, most of the \"bugs\" in XP-SP2 have either been fixed, or have proven workarounds, so it's a sure thing in Windows OS choices.

...Just something to consider if you have the choice.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Michael,
Wow only 2 letters off. Not trying to hijack the thread but had to reply when I saw the name. My daughter just came back from a mission trip to New Zealand and Australia for two months and there was a Kowalczyk on her team also.

back to the post...
I do agree with staying with XP pro SP2. many PC vendors offer both Vista and Xp because they see the problems with Vista, though they won't admit it, and can sell more PC's to people who want to upgrade their PC's without having to or are unable to upgrade all their current software.

Dziękuję and Do widzenia,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Kowalczyk wrote:Hey Michael,
Wow only 2 letters off...
Holy cow, you two are REALLY going to keep everyone confused!!! :shock:

I thought the first reply was from "...czyk" and didn't even notice the "...chuk."
Michael Kowalchuk

Re:

Post by Michael Kowalchuk »

DanEpps wrote:
Michael Kowalczyk wrote:Hey Michael,
Wow only 2 letters off...
Holy cow, you two are REALLY going to keep everyone confused!!! :shock:

I thought the first reply was from "...czyk" and didn't even notice the "...chuk."
Sounds like the difference of a few hundred miles - my great grandparents came from western Ukraine, and I'll bet his came from central Poland; or the person at Ellis Island didn't get their coffee that morning. It is amazing the small variations on these names. BTW, Kowalchuck translates to "son of a blacksmith".

It is also possible and perfectly legal to buy a copy of XP and install it yourself, but you will need to get the drivers for all the hardware, and while that can sometimes be a chore, XP is pretty good at at least getting the basic versions itself and then it's usually a simple download of the updates.

One big plus to this, is that all the advertising, spyware and other garbage that the OEM's put on their PC is not loaded - I am amazed at the amount of bovine fecal matter that is preinstalled on new PC's; I have even seen hidden partitions on the hard drives!

Of course I am a Linux user at home, but we won't go there. ;)

MRK
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Dan,
I am still in Houston not in walking distance to Thermwood, Darn :cry: , If I were that close I probably wouldn't get as much done because I would be at the plant all the time :wink: .

So just remember, \"czyk\" is in Houston, Texas and \"chuk\" is in Dale, Indiana.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Sounds like the difference of a few hundred miles - my great grandparents came from western Ukraine, and I'll bet his came from central Poland; or the person at Ellis Island didn't get their coffee that morning. It is amazing the small variations on these names. BTW, Kowalchuck translates to \"son of a blacksmith\".
Michael,
yes my grandparents on my father's side and great grandparents on my mother's side were both from the Warsaw area. We did some searching before and yes the root \"Kowal\" is the \"Smith\" part of the name so I guess that the \"czyk\" is the Polish version and \"chuk\" is the Ukrainian.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, we know how the \"Kowal\" part is pronounced, how about the \"czyk\" part? Is that pronounced \"check\", \"chack\", \"chick\" or \"chuck?\"