Placing post, flutted columns, corbels

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Bobby Standridge

Post by Bobby Standridge »

I'm having trouble placing post, corbels or other deco. trim on cabinets. When I place the items on a cabinet, the item goes inside to the target instead of on the outside of the cabinet. I have worked on this for hours and can not get it right. Also I have not been able to find any flutted columns to place on my cabinets. I sure could use some help. Thanks in advance, Bobby.
Gene Kimmi

Post by Gene Kimmi »

Bobby,

When you bring a part into the editor, highlight the part by clicking on it once. If it needs to be rotated, do this now. Next, double click the cabinet you want the part associated to. Now mouse over the cabinet until a blue node appears near a point close to where you want the part, then click on that node. Next mouse over the part you have brought into the editor until a red node appears, then click on it. You can press the M on your keyboard and all the nodes will appear.

At this point you should have a blue node on the cabinet and a red node on the part with a red line between them. Now click on the allign parts button at the top, or right click then click allign parts. A box will come up in which you input the offset amounts you want in the X,Y, and Z axis'. Or you can click allign to zero. This should move the part to the position you want it.

Sometimes it takes me some time to get it alligned exactly where I want it(figuring out the exact offsets to input). Once the part is where you want it, right click and click associate to cabinet in the box that comes up.

Kind of long winded, but I hope you can understand everything.
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive
Bobby Standridge

Thanks Gene, that sure helped a lot.
Bobby
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Re: Placing post, flutted columns, corbels

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Bobby Standridge wrote:Also I have not been able to find any flutted columns to place on my cabinets.
You will have to create your own flutted columns. You can find some corbels on the Customer 3D files forum.

Also here are a few in this zip file.
Attachments
cbl-fo1.zip
(737.07 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Bobby Standridge

Thanks Michael, I have just come back to the form to ask for help on the corbel and flutted column part of my original request and I noticed your response. Both of you guys have been very helpful in my request. I'm afraid I am lost on the procedure for making my own flutted columns. The only thing I have done in the part editor is learn how to cut holes in a cabinet to make it arched. Any further help on making my own flutted column would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has a flutted column I can down load it would be great.

________________________________ Bobby Standridge
Hidden Valley Custom Cabinets L.L.C. Gainesville, Georgia
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Bobby Standridge,

The way to make fluted molding is:

First of all you need a fluted bit. you will find a 5/32\" flute tool in the zip file along with two sample fluted fillers.

Take the part you want to flute to the part editor. Next select the contour mode.

(This is where the math we both should have learned in school will come in handy.)

Plot the line using the input for the coordinates. select the \"next\" button and you will need to pick the fluted tool from the zip file. (This fluted tool is already set at the depth I use). You should be able to click \"OK\" and you will see the result of the software.

If you want multiple flutes you need to do all the lined then cut them with the flute tool.

By the way you can send me a PM with your # I can call you if you need further assistance.
Attachments
Tools.zip
(172.62 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Bobby Standridge

Thanks again for the flutted trim help. I've got to leave the office to meet with a customer, but will be back on this project tonight.