Moving a door

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Moving a door

Post by Rob Davis »

I am trying to get a door onto the side of a cabinet for side access. Attaching a JPEG of what I am attempting. I built th emain unit, then added a 2nd cabinet that had the right door size. Then I hid all the parts of the cabinet except the door after rotating and moving. But now that I want to move the door into place over the hole, I can't move the door.
So, is this the way it is and I need to make a display cube versus a door in order to get it to move? Or am I being stupid and missing something?
We really use eCabs more for generating router programs for us or our production sharing customers than for displays but this customer wants to see it and so I thought it would be a good time to finally learn how to make great displays like all you gurus out there!
Attachments
Dentist unit.jpg
Dentist unit.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Rob,
why don't you take the side of the cabinet into the parts editor and cut the hole into the side and then target just a door onto the screen and place it on the side of the cabinet like a finished end panel.

That is my suggestion provided I understand your delimma.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Is this What you are talking about?

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I am going to try this again. not sure what I down loaded the first time.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

This time a little larger view
Damon Nabors
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. I can accomplish this with either a display cube or an importred door. But becasue we use these to actually cut them on a router, I wanted to get a door that would nest and I could cut witht he rest of the job. I am not just going for looks here. I accomplished the \"look\" with a display cube and so on.

I admit to being a novice on doing the \"odd\" things here, even though we've been using this for a couple years. My point was to do this only once spo that when I go to machine it, I won't have parts I need to program separately, etc.

Thanks for the help. Just trying to learn some new stuff on Saturdays since the rest of the week is never time!
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Rob,
Get your door with 'Load Item'. Position it where you want it AND THEN...
Very important:
Select the door, double click the cabinet so that the outline of it turns green. Right click with your mouse pointer over the door and select 'Associations > Associate to cabinet'
You may now save the cabinet and the door will nest like any other part. (provided you chose 'Built in-house' when selecting the door)
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't you make a faceframed cabinet of the appropriate size, . . .

delete everything but the faceframe and a \"build in house\" door, . . .

specify the frame as made from boardstock described as \"DO NOT CUT,\" . . .

then bring that cab into your model with the one in which you have made the hole in the side, and bury it,

Then save it as an assembly?
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

If you place the cabinets in the room (not as an assembly) you can select the cabinet and add a door using right click>adjust cabinet features>cabinet end. Or \"S,J,C\" from the key board short cut.

As an alternative, while in cabinet editor, you can add a door the size you want or as Gene mentioned as well,

Gene, there is another method to this, using a frameless cabinet, delete everything except the back, do not cut.

This just goes to show you that there are several ways to accomplish what you want. No matter what you do in the editor, make sure you associate the door/part to the cabinet before you save it.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

To All,
The best way I have found to place just a door (in batch or in a room) is by using the following steps from Scott Vaal to create a cabinet with nothing but a door that will re-size correctly. There are no \"do not cut\" parts with this method.

From Scott: \"I don't know if you batch doors like this a lot, but here is a fast way to do it by creating one (as a cabinet without other parts) and then changing it to any size in the batch.

Follow these to the \"T\"

1.) Load the std base frame less.
2.) Delete all cabinet parts except the toe kick.
3.) Go to door/drawer editor: set the door you want default and then add it to the cabinet (do not change any door con-settings).
4.) Return to main.
5.) Go to con-settings -> toe kick tab: set the Height and Inset to zero, and uncheck \"Has Toe\", select OK.
6.) Save this cabinet and then batch any size/Qty door of this style that you want.

Scott Vaal
eCabinet Systems\"

Just select this door saved as a cabinet, re-size the height and width as you select it and place it in a room or batch. You can save different doors as different cabinets or just change the door for this cabinet each time in the cabinet editor.

Kerry
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks, Kerry, for the description of the method.

I thought, \"Why not use a wallcab, even. Save a couple keystrokes by not having to delete a toe.\"

And of course it worked! I now have a resizeable door in my library.
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Everyone,

OK, I give up. I follow the steps and can create a \"cabinet\" that contains only a door. I can use it in assemblies, no problem. I can't seem to place it in a room, however. I'm no master of custom layout - so what can I be doing wrong? I bring up a room, load a few other cabinets the try to load the \"door cabinet\". While the item appears to load (blue box with arrow) and move around the room when I left click to place the item it does nothing - either in overhead or wall mode. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dale
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Dale,

I found that using the door and back of a cabinet causes less trouble than any other configuration. Take a look at this one.

By the way, How's the hand? or should I say, what's left of it?
Attachments
Panel.hsf
(76.02 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Panel.jpg
Panel.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 10084 times
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

While you are inserting items (cabinets) in the room you can right click and modify the angle of the cabinet so it doesn't snap to the angle of the surrounding walls. This is especially good for designing peninsulas and islands.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Michael,

That did the trick, thanks! Still wondering what I was doing wrong. I'll worry about it in the morning, maybe....

The hand is just fine - more than enough to get the job done. May look a little funny but it gets the job done. Darn grateful it does - I don't ever want to have to go back to the real world and get an engineering job (my previous life...).

A funny story, if you can stand it, was catching up with an old friend that cuts hair for a living - when I saw her for a haircut last month she couldn't believe what I had done to myself and promptly stated \"you get a free haircut\" out of sympathy. I replied if I had known that was coming I would have cut the fingers off one at a time - stretch the discounts I say! She didn't like that. I told her manager I wasn't looking for any sympathy - I know where to find it: It's in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis (an old military line...). I hope I didn't offend too many folks with my poor humor....

Dale
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com