What would be a good edge bander without breaking the bank?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

What would be a good edge bander without breaking the bank?

Post by Al Navas »

I build cabinets, but it is not a full-time thing (yet...). I wonder if I would be better off going to someone with the production sharing capability, and who has all the pro equipment, to get it done. This would be instead of trying to do it on the cheap in my own shop.

Thinking out aloud - does it mostly depend on the size of the job, and the frequency that the edge bander is needed, as opposed to getting the best results using one? I just don't want a machine sitting idle, as shop real estate is becoming scarce.

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Al, Not sure what will break the bank, but go somewhere like ex-factory for example and you can see all the different models and capabilities of each machine and you can get an idea about what the equipment is going for. I too am looking at edgebanders and I am finding that a decent used edgebander with a few bells and whistles will cost somewhere around 6 to 10K. If you are going to get more serious about building cabinets all the time, I would opt for a nice machine and try to have everything paid for when you go full time. Another thing to consider is your power supply to your building. Most larger edge banders are going to require 3-phase electrical. So if your shop does not have 3-phase, you need to take that into consideration also. You can always buy 3-phase converters also. I have several machines running on them now. We purchased a new CS45-510 last week and the power has turned into the biggest headache. It has so far cost me around 6K just to get new Electrical Poles, wire, Meter base, 3-phase panel, etc..... So be sure to consider that when you decide to purchase a new piece of equipment.

Hope this helps,

Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Al

Production sharing is a good method, I used it before I worked in a shop that has a CNC...now I work in a shop with a Thermwood. So I use them for production sharing..

Edge banders are great tools however, expensive and really require volume for a good ROI

ex-factory allways has good deals...then comes the service issue..

There is a guy in St Joseph, and me in St Louis...I run the production sharing at AMSL.

The problems i have had with production sharing(as a client) was the provider did not \"mic\" the material prior to machinig...resulting in poor fit quality. We mic material prior to writing g-code for each job..

Edgebanding is the same...if the material thickness is improperly registered the bander will either scrape of too much material(scaring the parts) or not enough....requiring filing or hand trimming.

email me or call AMSL and ask for roger you are on the other side of missouri I don't believe there are any \"competion\" issues good luck....
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Thanks for the information, Roger!

We do have a superb shop here, only minutes away from my house. I will have to try this route with edgebanding.

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com