22 1/2 degree miter

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kevin Gratwick

22 1/2 degree miter

Post by Kevin Gratwick »

Is it possible to miter a custom molding at 22 1/2 degrees? I can do 45 degree miters easily on custom moldings using the chamfer tool in the parts editor before profiling the edge of the display cube, but I can't figure out how to do a 22 1/2 degree miter.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Kerry and Dan have been doing great work with moldings. Maybe they can help here.

This is a little beyond my knowledge at the moment.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Yeargain wrote:Kerry and Dan have been doing great work with moldings. Maybe they can help here.

This is a little beyond my knowledge at the moment.
Come on Mike...you know the answer to this :wink:

I presume by custom molding you mean what you created using the Part Editor. If this is correct, all cuts must be made before any edges are profiled.

In other words, cut the ends at 22.5 degrees before profiling the edges. How? Make sure you are in Contour Mode of the Part Editor. Right-click and choose Angle Snap. If not previously set, you will be prompted to enter an angle. Enter 22.50 and click OK. If already set you will have to repeat the actions to set the angle.

Now draw a 22.5 degree line across the end of your unprofiled molding and close the contour then cut it off. After completing this you can profile the edges.
Kevin Gratwick

Post by Kevin Gratwick »

That does the trick. Thanks for your help. This forum is great!

Kevin
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I was thinking you needed to use a 22 1/2 deg cutter to get the bevel. I am aware of the use in the part editor but I really thought it was another step, such as an angle cutter instead of just chamfering the end.

If this is so. what would the angle be, if I chose to cut a 11.25 deg angle or a 45 or even a 90? The angle would be right but there would be no back cut to the part. Unless you used a cutter relative to the angle. Right?

There needs to be an additional 50% of the thickness of the part per side to do a 45, for example. and an additional % per angle at a different ratio for all others.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Actually, creating a tool to cut the end is the best solution Mike. Just make sure the display cube is setup using the part length = cube depth (2x2x96 = 2w, 2l, 96d) and apply the tool to a toolpath on one edge of the cube.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

In either case the actual part would need to be longer than needed to produce the cut.

Right?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You would need to add length to accomodate the miter(s) you cut from it. Example: for a 6x6x96 finished length (short-to-short), you would need to add 12\" for a 45 degree miter on each end.