Search not working on forum

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Search not working on forum

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

I'm trying to find an old post from Kerry about his cabinet lift. When I search for this I get a blank page. I have tried using inverted commas, AND string etc all to no avail.
When I go to the memberlist and bring up Kerry's profile it has a find all posts link, when I hit this I get a blank screen......Anyone shed some light here?
This message made from recycled electrons.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Glenn,

I do not know what went wrong with your search, but here is the link

http://ntc.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... light=lift
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Paul Ellis wrote:...I do not know what went wrong with your search, but here is the link
To use Glenn's own words, its a PICNIC :joker:
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Thanks Dan..I should have PICK(nic)ED that one up! I mean Glenn was such an open target on that one!
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Hmm ok I get the results when I type in \"lift\" (no inverted commas) but try \"cabinet lift\" (again no inverted commas) and I get the blank screen, seems like the search function cannot handle more than one word. I didn't use AND between them but I'd of thought that you shouldn't have to as there is a radio button for \"either\" and \"or\" searching.
Sorry to be PIC(nic)Y

BTW you can see by Paul's post that he searched for lift only.
This message made from recycled electrons.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Yeah, yeah, yeah right :joker:

No, actually the search engine for phpBB leaves MUCH to be desired. In fact, ALL search engines leave much to be desired (either that or I just don't think right :shock: ).

When you use AND, the search engine looks for posts with both words but not necessarily both words together or even in the order specified. If you use OR, it looks for posts with either or both words. NOT specifies words that must not be in the post.
Doug Lawson

Post by Doug Lawson »

Has anyone figured the search engine out yet? It is really bad. I keep trying to search for \"corner cabinet\" and I get a blank page. There has to be a better way to search through the forum besides using one word. I tried AND and OR but they didn't help. Any suggestions?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Doug

I just did a search of the eCabinet Systems Software forum using \"corner AND cab\" and got 77 hits.

Make sure you have the top radio button selected (it says something like \"search using any terms or use the query entered\").
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I was thinking it was the internet service, maybe he had dialup or something. But I have cable and searched \"cabinet lift\" and drew a blank screen also, while others searches are just fine.

Maybe there are just so many topics with cabinet in it it just doesn't want to return them all.

Go figure.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If you want only results that have both \"cabinet\" and \"lift\" in them, you have to use the keyword AND between the words (\"cabinet AND lift\"). Otherwise, the search finds all occurances of \"cabinet\" and all occurances of \"lift\" which is, indeed, too many results to display before a timeout occurs.

Note that the keywords (AND, OR, NOT) must be uppercase.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I just tried searching for \"cabinet AND lift\" and timed out before any results were returned. I changed the search to just \"lift\" and got several results. I further limited the search by entering \"Kerry Fullington\" in the author textbox and \"lift\" in the search terms textbox. This returned only posts by Kerry that contained the word \"lift\" in them.

Why did I limit it to Kerry? Because I remember the thread he started with his cabinet lift and presumed this was the post you were looking for. :wink: