Can I add hinges to the hardware list?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Steve Dyches

Can I add hinges to the hardware list?

Post by Steve Dyches »

Hey guys,

When selecting hinges for a cabinet I don't see the exact blum hinge that I use. Is there a way to add the one I use to the list of choices. Other hinges have the same bore pattern but I would like the correct blum number to show up for the purpose of a pick list.

Thanks,

Steve Dyches
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Hardware items cannot be added by users.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

You cannot edit the hardware lists. I suspected that, asked here for a mod, and was told it might be a feature of a future release.

Ideally, the hardware schedules in the package would be YOUR hardware at YOUR delivered costs, but that is not the way it is now.

The wish list for me includes a fully editable hardware schedule, including costs, and editable parameters for outside-purchased doors, drawerfronts, and drawerboxes.

The only workaround now, re hinges, is to do your hinge schedule for a job, and lets for example say it will include five different hinge types. You then do yourself, on paper, a little crisscross, matching your hinge types to five different hinges in the eCabs package. Do your associations accordingly, and then when done and looking at the buy list, use your crisscross to interpret it.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I understand what you are saying Gene, but consider this: eCabinets development is paid for SOLELY by purchases made through the cooperative.

Why would Thermwood want to allow you to add hardware from vendors other than those in the Member Store? That would defeat the whole intent of using those proceeds to fund development and improvements to the software while still keeping it free.
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

so, the answer is no.

Dan, I understand your point and Thermwood will have to decide what is the best use of the software for their goals.

Keep in mind though that the software is also a valuable part in selling their routers. I assume that was their original intent. I just ordered one, and in no small part due to the added value of the software. Better, more versatile software will only increase Thermwoods value to those shopping for machines.

I personally wonder how many eCabinet users now buying hardware through the system would'nt buy just because they could set up custom hardware. I would guess that the ones now buying do so because of convenience, relatively competitive prices for their volume, lack of availability in their area, loyalty to Thermwood (who by the way seem like great folks) and so forth.

But I'm biased, I just want to add my Blum Inserta numbers.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Steve,

If your hinges aren't in the system let Eric Shearn at Thermwood know about it and I bet he can get them added. Have you looked on the member store site to see if the hinges are offered there? I think in the future, the software will be linked to the member store so there will be a lot more hardware available in the system.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That is correct Kerry. In (I think) 6.0, there will be no local hardware, door or drawer catalog. It will come directly from the Member Store.
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

thanks fellas, that sounds great.

the store does have most, but not all, of the inserta hinges.

Steve
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Steve,

Let Thermwood know which hinges you need added and I bet they can get it done.

Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Well that will be interesting if they add that link to the member store in version 6. What if the store is closed? There is no store outside the USA. I spoke to the Australian Sales and there is not enough Ecabinet users to warrant the expense at this time. Maybe they can delay that feature until all markets can use it.
Better still they could allow outside USA markets to purchase hardware from the store? I say this because I ordered some items from the store on Thursday and had them on the Wednesday the following week. That's not bad seeing I'm at the opposite end of the world.
I think I could handle that sort of service.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Let me clarify a bit.

From the way I understand it, there will initially be no local catalog of hardware, doors or drawer fronts. Then when you add one to a cabinet, it is retrieved from the member store the first time only and cached to your computer. The next time you use the same component it is retrieved from your computer. Once you add it to the shopping cart the prices are updated.

This may not be exactly right but it is close.

One reason this is being done is to be able to provide more items and another is to reduce the size of the eCabinets installation package.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

That would make perfect sense for the install package size. Decreasing the sizes of hardware and other items as such, would eventually allow for the distribution of the e_cabinets \"CD\" over the Internet. That alone will save Thermwood an enormous expense.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Maybe they could crush all that Brewster stuff into a small package too.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Yeargain wrote:That would make perfect sense for the install package size. Decreasing the sizes of hardware and other items as such, would eventually allow for the distribution of the e_cabinets "CD" over the Internet. That alone will save Thermwood an enormous expense.
That is in the cards also. :D See this post by Ken for details.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

But what if my preferred slides are Mepla-Alfit, and my preferred hinges are Salice?

And what if Thermwood carries Grass slides, but not the 7523 Elite AirMatics that I use?

IMHO, the software should be such that hardware is user-defined as to specification and cost.

I want my cost structure to be able to reflect freight cost and quantity price breaks.