Why do any basecabs with doors?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Why do any basecabs with doors?

Post by Gene Davis »

This was a topic over at WoodWeb's cabinetmaking forum, and I thought I would ask here.

Other than where you need them, why do any basecabs with hinged doors? Why not do drawerstacks everywhere?

I am not talking about budget-conscious jobs where a pair of doors has one or two adjustable shelves behind, but one where a lot of the basecabs will have rollout drawers inside.

For plain old user convenience, isn't it better to simply grab a handle and pull a drawer, one motion needed, rather than to open doors and THEN grab the drawer?

Doesn't it relieve the cab maker of the tedium of doing spacers to boost the drawersides in enough to clear hinges?

The tradeoffs in costs come out to about a zero sum. A drawerstack will have taller drawerboxes (likely), and more pulls or handles, but will have no need for drawerside spacers, or for any hinges, when compared to a cab with pullouts.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Gene,

The only reason to not do \"all drawer stacks\" is aesthetics. It looks better to have a balance of doors and drawers.

Forrest
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

We do all drawers where we can. Even doors mounted to drawers (garbage pullouts etc.)
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Over here in Oz there's a big move towards all drawers in lower cabs, corner drawers, soft close tandemboxes are all we seem to build here. We also do the full height door/drawer bin and laundry hapmper style as well.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

We do a lot of jobs with all drawers (except sinkbase) in the base cabinets for the very reasons you stated.

steve
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Yep, been doing more and more drawer stacks every year and like Forrest said, the only reason not to is aesthetics. Some folks just prefer the look of doors.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

On our higher end jobs, I like to design using drawer stacks except for the sink base. I try to design using 5 pc drawerfronts. I think it produces greater efficiency for storage and with the 5pc drawerfronts, it's very attractive.

Chris
Tom Panks

Doors versus Drawers

Post by Tom Panks »

I guess I am the one that intiated this question on Woodweb. I did just what many advised me to go ahead and do. I designed the kitchen with drawers in all the base cab's but one. Kitchen is in a G shape.. Customer...she looked it over carefully and was very pleased with it. So I guess I made a friend, again, and thanks to the guys at Woodweb that encouraged me.