Deleting Vista ?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

denny michels

Deleting Vista ?

Post by denny michels »

I have had it with Windows Vista. E-cabs worked fine for a day but now it continually freezes up and i have to cut power to get back up. I am contemplating taking it off and putting XP on. How tough a job is this? This computer didn't come with a recovery disk for Vista. You make your own through the system. So is changing the OS a so called \"smart move\". Who knows when E-cabs becomes compatible with Vista. I have a meeting in 2 days with client and no way i can make that with this going on. I don't consider myself computer literate so is this something relatively easy to do. Can i delete vista and just throw in a xp recovery disk from my old computer? Thoughts?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Short answer--no. The recovery disk is keyed to the configuration (brand, model, etc) for each computer.

Your new computer might not even be able to run XP properly. Most new computers designed for Vista do not have drivers available for XP.

Follow the Vista install directions in the sticky at the top of this forum.

As I said earlier, you MUST run the installation as administrator in order for eCabinets to work properly.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I don't think loading XP is going to be that difficult seeing most of the suppliers of Computer cards etc aren't even supplying drivers for Vista.
If you want to play it safe whip out the hard disk and put in another one which are dirt cheap. Install XP and ecabinets. If it works well for a few weeks then format your old drive that has vista and you have extra storage. The other option is to mirror your new XP drive onto your old Vista disk and you have the ultimate backup. Leave the disk in a off site location. Your new hard disk needs to be the same size if possible.

We we know who we can blame for this. Yes Thermwood as they should be using Linux which has been around long enough to prove bullet proof.
Imagine not having to be plagued by window problems and not having a number of licenses for each computer with XP or vista.
Maybe the software they use for Ecabinets is not available for Linux?Maybe the graphic cards haven't drivers for Linux?
One day we could have a microsoft free computer?

Regards Neville
Neville Australia
denny michels

Post by denny michels »

I did as they said. I ran the combatibility to XP SP2 and as administrator. Like i said it ran fine yesterday, but not today. When i go to high light a cabinet to move it and as soon as i hit the shift key, it locks up. I am kind of stuck here, if i lose this job because of this i may need another computer because I may take my frustration out on it
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Denny,
To me Vista is not worth the agro. Don't smash that computer as its not really its fault.
Backup your data and any other info onto a usb memory stick. Buy that new hard disk and get someone to install XP for you if your not sure. Your looking at 3 to 4 hrs work to get ecabinets operational again. Restore the jobs and you'll be ready for the clients meeting.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Neville
Neville Australia
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Denny,

You will need the full version of Windows XP SP2. About $350.00

Although it is the best thing you can do at this point. It was mentioned to put in another drive, I would get a new one period. And get a good one. Use the other on as a second drive, to do your file swap from.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
denny michels

Post by denny michels »

I should clarify my earlier post. The XP disk i have from the old computer, which is also a HP, is a operating system CD (XP SP2). It says for software reinstallation and repair. It is not a recovery CD. Is this what i need?

After thinking about it i think i would have to buy XP new. Registration codes and such may force me to.
Last edited by denny michels on Thu, Nov 01 2007, 7:54PM, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Put in another drive, do not try to install on this original information. Then reinstall.

It should work.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I will stand by my original answer. HP, Toshiba and the other consumer brands are notorious for including new components (video cards, disk controllers, etc) that have drivers ONLY for Vista.

If you install XP on it, be prepared to reinstall Vista due to lack of drivers.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I can't argue with that. And, this can't be taken lightly.

I know of someone who bought a HP with Vista. (Because \"it was the best\") They installed Quickbooks which was their accounting software and it wouldn't work properly. The web site was very dirrect about what would and would not work. Nonetheless, they had to purchase a New XP install package.

Too bad they weren't smart enough to ask me my opinion.

The new install did work.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re:

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Michael Yeargain wrote:You will need the full version of Windows XP SP2. About $350.00 <snip>
If he purchases a system component like a hard drive, then purchasing the OEM version of XP Pro would be ok with Microsoft and be perfectly legit. This would be the cost of the disk plus about $140 for Windows. The primary downside of the OEM version is you're on your own for support; Microsoft doesn't provide phone support (except for security issues) for OEM purchases.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re:

Post by Dean Fehribach »

DanEpps wrote:I will stand by my original answer. HP, Toshiba and the other consumer brands are notorious for including new components (video cards, disk controllers, etc) that have drivers ONLY for Vista.

If you install XP on it, be prepared to reinstall Vista due to lack of drivers.
Dan's correct. You run a risk. We've got a Dell computer here that came with Vista and Dell didn't provide XP drivers when we wanted to additionally install XP and dual-boot it.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

If he purchases a system component like a hard drive, then purchasing the OEM version of XP Pro would be ok with Microsoft and be perfectly legit.
?

A system bought with OEM Vista, I format with a new XP cd install, is illegal?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Read again Mike...it says OEM version of XP. You can always use a full retail version.