Can't be too CAREFULL

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Can't be too CAREFULL

Post by Damon Nabors »

Well it's been along time since I have had an injury. I was finishing up on a kitchen job today and was trimming some narrow strips on the table saw (portable on site) and was using a push stick as I always do to be carefull not to get my hands close to the saw blade.

Here's where it get harry. I was using a push stick that was a cut off piece of trim that was mitered on one end. The end next to my palm. As I was pushing the molding through the blade, I guess my push stick came into contact with the blade and kicked it back into the palm of my hand and hit the bone. I now have a nice size hole in the palm of my hand. Moral of the story. It can always happen to you too.

Any Way You just got to be more carefull, as I often tell everyone.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Me too Damon, can't even remember when my last one was. Then the other day I was doing some biscuit joining and glanced up thinking I heard the phone and bingo, right into my finger. :shock:
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Terry, did you have a sausage with the biscuit?

It can happen in a spit second, I thought I was practicing safe habits with the push stick, but goes to show that even when your trying to be safe anything can happen.

The little lady's house I was working on , she wanted it completed Friday, I was probably in too big of a hurry. The injury happened at 11 am, I wrapped it up and finished the job. She never knew. I got through about 1 PM an went to the emergency room to get it stiched up.

Hope your doing ok.
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

Sorry to hear about your injuries guys.... I hate to admit that I did it too......even after the recent discussions about shop safety, and the pics of Dales terrible injury......about 5 weeks ago, I was making some small wooden drawer pulls on the router table. I was in a hurry, of course, not using a jig, one of the pieces got loose and slammed my index finger into a 1\" straight cutter.....I can tell you for certain, that a cutter spinning 22000 rpm will shred the end of your finger pretty quick. To make matters worse, I had just signed a contract for a job that had to be completed and installed in 3 1/2 weeks. Since I'm a one man operation, I couldn't even slow down and lick my wounds. Terry, I do remember my last time....June 14 1996 :)

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

The common thread here, and in my recent encounter with a GMC Yukon XL (in another post), is that we we all in a hurry and overlooked \"second-nature\" safety procedures.

I have always preached that it only takes an extra second to make sure you are doing something safely. The bad thing is that I didn't listen to my own sermon.

Its just like driving a car...drive the speed limit and get there--alive. Drive too fast because you are in a hurry and you just might not get there at all.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Sometimes when we do drive, operate machinery, etc safely, there always seems to be one who tends to be in a hurry everywhere they go and end up costing you.

My own brother about 18 years ago was the designated driver for the evening with his friends. After taking everyone home, in route to his house he was struck by a speeding car and died at the scene along with the other driver.

Sometimes even the best safety measures can become useless, by the unsafe actions of others...

When it comes to safety...everyone around you needs to practice it.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I couldn't say it better Michael. Sorry for the loss of your Brother.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I echo Damon's remarks...sorry for the loss of your brother in such a senseless way.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Again this was years ago but nonetheless;
senseless
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650