Hidden line rendering, wide angle view

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Hidden line rendering, wide angle view

Post by Gene Davis »

I sure wish eCabs could do this.

I find the angle of view, when rendering with perspective, to be simply not wide enough. A look about like that seen through a 28mm lens is preferable to me, or even a little wider.

Nice wide angle views such as this, done in B&W, are all one needs to sell most work, IMHO.

How 'bout it, Thermwood?

Or am I missing something? Is the angle of view able to be user-modified? Is there a button for changing rendering to hidden line B&W?
Attachments
conway_pers.jpg
conway_pers.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You can take the room into the line drawing editor and produce a view like that.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

And bump out the viewing angle?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Yep. Just zoom out or in until you have what you want. If you use 3D dimensioning you can also rotate any direction you want.

Here I still have the grid visible but you can turn it off. I hid the wall nearest the viewer and rotated the room using the mouse as in the cabinet editor.

The first image is the top view of the room.
Attachments
LDE 2.jpg
LDE 2.jpg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
LDE 1.jpg
LDE 1.jpg (105.65 KiB) Viewed 8198 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gene,
you can't get a wide angle view to see faces of all cabinets in one shot. You would have to use multiple views of the room.
Below are a couple of line drawings from the LDE and a photo editor.
Kerry
Attachments
line.jpg
line.jpg (215.03 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
kitchen_05.jpg
kitchen_05.jpg (373.62 KiB) Viewed 8185 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Dan and Kerry, thank you for your replies, but to my eye, everything Thermwood here looks totally bush league when compared to the rendering I posted in the opener.

I stand by my wish. Will Thermwood step up to the plate, in the next release, and give us B&W hidden line rendering with wide angle view?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,

I guess this never bothered me because I couldn't see giving a customer a line drawing like they get from Home Depot when I can deliver a Photo Realistic view.

\"Different Strokes for Different Folks\"
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Gene Davis wrote:Dan and Kerry, thank you for your replies, but to my eye, everything Thermwood here looks totally bush league when compared to the rendering I posted in the opener.

I stand by my wish. Will Thermwood step up to the plate, in the next release, and give us B&W hidden line rendering with wide angle view?
Many consider eCabinets to be the best custom cabinet design software available at any price--and it free--but it is not everyone's "cup of tea". Perhaps eCabinets is just not for you Gene and you could do a better job of designing cabinetry with Sketch Up, even though it is not cabinet design software.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dan,

I think Gene will like eCabinets once he gets used to it. Most everyone that has used or is familiar with another design software would like eCabinets with it's increased functionality to operate exactly like the software they are familiar with.
The type of line drawings Gene is looking for are common with many of the other packages. I have that \"camera\" functionality in the software that I use to do rooms for remodel.
I just think that the programmers focusing on creating better black and white line drawings is a step backward. I would like them adding functionality to the photo-realistic side. (like increasing the tessellation factor again) I would like to be able to do more in that area. there are a lot of tools in the eCabinets render engine that they are not taking advantage of. But that is just me. Every one of us has their own wants.

Keep making suggestions Gene, you might get what you want. I know that Thermwood will implement what they think is best for the program.

Kerry
Greg Nagy
Company Name: Barracuda Kitchens

Re: Hidden line rendering, wide angle view

Post by Greg Nagy »

I have found a solution how to change the angle of view, but it works only in rendering mode, not in the line drawing editor.
In plan view zoom out a bit, then change to render mode, then zoom back in and voila! The more you zoom out the wider view angle you get. If the zooming out is too much, the distortion can be huge so be careful. I don't think so this feature is meant to be, probably its a glitch but pretty funny...
Cesar Font
Company Name: Casa i Dissenyo

Re: Hidden line rendering, wide angle view

Post by Cesar Font »

Greg Nagy wrote:I have found a solution how to change the angle of view, but it works only in rendering mode, not in the line drawing editor.
In plan view zoom out a bit, then change to render mode, then zoom back in and voila! The more you zoom out the wider view angle you get. If the zooming out is too much, the distortion can be huge so be careful. I don't think so this feature is meant to be, probably its a glitch but pretty funny...
I think this glitch only happens in your computer, because it doesn't happen in mine. :wall: I wish it did. :cry:
Casa i Dissenyo
San Francisco del Rincón, Guanajuato, México
52(476) 128-0049