Why I like B&W and why T'wood should offer it

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Why I like B&W and why T'wood should offer it

Post by Gene Davis »

I like a B&W for various reasons.

Because of the huge array of choices in species, finishes, and hardware that can be done in a kitchen, a lot of clients waffle around on a \"look,\" and delay their choices, while they still can be zeroing in and finalizing the arrangement and functionality of a kitchen, or any group of cabinetry.

A black and white permits that kind of focus, while allowing the choice of colors and textures to proceed separately, with actual samples.

Black and white rendering is done quickly and efficiently on the PC.

Unless one has a mammoth library of colors and textures, and unless one goes to great lengths in detail modeling, one cannot give an adequate photorealistic rendering of a room of cabs, and the deficiencies encountered can actually throw a client off focus.

By \"throw off\" I mean that a client can actually get a negative feel for a proposal when looking at a rendering, simply because of something as trivial as color and grain of wood, or because the fridge used doesn't match exactly the SubZero model she saw in the showroom, or something else as trivial.

Black and white images convey the same design thoughts as a construction drawing, by allowing the arrangements and details to be communicated, while still permitting the client the choices for color and texture.

And that kind of choice is best dealt with by hand samples. Doors. Drawerfronts. Knobs. Pulls. Same as is done by a good interior designer, when making up the sample board of fabrics, flooring, etc.

And as for wide angle view, we need it wider than what T'wood currently give us. Period. Changing that should be an easy fix.

See the attached for something that looks about right.
Attachments
3dmain.png
3dmain.png (29.63 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Gene,
Your idea on B&W has some merit, especially when focusing on only the shapes and design, not finishes. Were I to show it that way though, I sure would have the full color one handy to show.
Converting a color rendering into B&W is easily done with any graphics program (Fireworks, Photoshop, etc.). It shouldn't take more than one minute to do once the rendering has been generated into a JPG.
regards,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gene,

I wasn't able to find any way to widen the camera angle in eCabs but in looking for a solution to your request I did find some stuff I might use.
I like some of the Photo Shop edits to line drawings. They have the look of an architects pencil drawings. I might include some for the cover of proposals etc.

Kerry
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Great idea Kerry.

I think the B&W imaging should be further discussed because the process will free up CPU usage as well give an artistic renditiopn of a job. I agree it will \"help\" to avoid minor holds.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I see your point Gene. An architectural-type drawing to keep the \"form and function\" discussions uncluttered folllowed by material and color selection, then a final 3D rendering in color to seal the deal on the customer's choices.

I do like the effect Kerry produced with PhotoShop.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

Wouldn't this option be of value for custom layout as well? Especially if it were to increase system performance during layouts.

Chris R
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

You bet it would.

C'mon, Thermwood!