A small I-wish

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

A small I-wish

Post by Gene Davis »

A current fad in kitchen design has flip-up doors on short-height wallcabs.

It would be nice to have an option when placing a door to have it top-hinged, so that the hole pattern for the hinge plates would associate with the cab top.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Gene,
This easily done. Take a standard wall cab, add a door and rename all your parts so that left side becomes top, deck becomes left side, top becomes right side etc. Change your construction settings so that your reveals and insets are correct. Save this as a seed cabinet.
When you add this in a room you must just rotate the Y-axis through 90 deg.
Your hinges' drill pattern should be in the correct place and because you renamed your parts, the parts will be named correctly in the nesting diagram as well.
Hope this helps
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks for your reply, Paul, but that will not work for me.

I am trying it right now, and cannot even begin to get my construction parameters working.

My standard back is 1/4\", inset 3/4\", with a single top stretcher as a back nailer. Top and deck are tenoned, fitting to blind dados in the L and R sides. The back fits to full dado slots in L and R sides and deck, then runs flush to top between the back edge of the top and front face of the nailer/stretcher.

I am trying as hard as I can, and cannot get settings to produce the results in a cab that can then rotate 90 and deliver these specs.

Furthermore, other than assigning a user name to parts, I cannot find a way to rename them.
Attachments
Std wall frameless.jpg
Std wall frameless.jpg (98.07 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
Last edited by Gene Davis on Mon, Nov 05 2007, 7:38PM, edited 1 time in total.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

How about this one Gene?
Attachments
Horizontal.hsf
(260.02 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Won't work for me, Dan. Thanks anyhow.

See the pic I added to my post, above, for the preferred joinery, after the 90 rotation.

In your version, the joints are backwards.

I want the T and B ends of my sides to be flush.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

More like this?
Attachments
Horizontal.hsf
(282.02 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
horizontal.jpg
horizontal.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

That's it, Dan. I tweaked the joinery of the back to match my standards, but the four corners were as-specified.

I sure was stumped. How did you do it?

And what do I owe you for that little bit of design sharing? :shock:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Just take a look at the construction settings for top, deck, left end, right end and back.

I had to tinker with it for a few minutes (brain not functioning on new time yet :shock: ) and thought the first one was setup like that.

Owe me? You just paid me by staying tuned long enough to get a solution that meets your needs. :wink:

There is usually a solution to just about any problem with eCabinets. Some are easy and some can be quite challenging. If you have read many of my old posts you will have seen me say many times \"use common parts in uncommon ways.\" Sometimes it is difficult to see the forest for the trees though and you have to just stepp back for a few minutes and think outside the \"box.\" :lol:
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Gene,
By renaming I meant give the parts user names. These names are then used in stead of the 'original' names as assigned to them when you open a cabinet.
As for the rest, I think Dan answered your concerns?
I am sorry for not giving you the whole answer, that's the way I usually work. And don't take this wrong, its not meant that way...I give people just a hint in the right direction so that they can arrive at a fully fledged solution by themselves, that way they remember it better as opposed to giving them the whole solution and they copy it blindly.
Keep well
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"