How much is too much for shipping cost?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

I normally order my stuff from Thermwood. I normally have a fair size order. This time my order is fairly small but the shipping costs nearly double my total bill. That seems a bit much, $56 shipping for a $66 order.
Attachments
Shipping costs
Shipping costs
Thermwood Ordering.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 11401 times
denny michels

Post by denny michels »

Wow, I can understand that ordering through thermwood is one of the reasons this software is free, but that is just nuts. Better move to the states.
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

To be fair we have a supplier here in Australia that has a $16-50 minimum order fee and a $15 logistics fee. Had to get one handle that was short ordered on a job, handle cost $4-80 total invoice ended up $36.30.....expensive mistake.
I think this is a general problem, not just a Thermwood one.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Denis,

Shipping goes by weight plus since you are in Canada there will be other duties that will occur. If you can tell me what you are wanting to order, we can look to see if there is a typo on our end.

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Hey Denis... remember that it's actually much cheaper than usual with the Canadian Dollar so high right now! Order as much from the States as you can. :)
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Re:

Mark Hesketh wrote:Hey Denis... remember that it's actually much cheaper than usual with the Canadian Dollar so high right now! Order as much from the States as you can. :)
Yes but even then, it still makes no sense to have shipping fee nearly as much as the cost of the items.
Jason Susnjara wrote:Hi Denis,

Shipping goes by weight plus since you are in Canada there will be other duties that will occur. If you can tell me what you are wanting to order, we can look to see if there is a typo on our end.

thanks,
The customs/Duty is not on that yet. That will cost me another $40 to $70 at my door for UPS fees to clear customs.

What I am trying to get is this:
Attachments
Thermwood Ordering 1.jpg
Thermwood Ordering 1.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 11165 times
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Denis,

I know that the duties have not been added yet and I do think that shipping seems high but it also looks like you are trying to order from the software and not from the website. Is this the case? If so, try adding these items to the eCabinet member store.

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Re:

Jason Susnjara wrote:Denis,

I know that the duties have not been added yet and I do think that shipping seems high but it also looks like you are trying to order from the software and not from the website. Is this the case? If so, try adding these items to the eCabinet member store.

thanks,
That is what I was doing...I will try and go through the store and see if there is a difference.

Thanks Jason
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

Is the intention in the future to have the shopping cart in the software the same as the web store so that we don't have this problem?

Kerry
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Well, that looks better in some way but I can not find HF-34393502 in the store....it seems to only exist in the software. I did a search and it says item not found. I need 57 of those hinges.

The remainder looks like this (no shipping cost) That remains to be seen I guess.

Can I get those hinges in the store?
Attachments
Thermwood Ordering 2.jpg
Thermwood Ordering 2.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 11220 times
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Dennis -- I never have anything delivered UPS. Their brokerage charges are ridiculous. I ask to ship USPS and the duty charge is $5 and no brokerage. You also have to pay the GST & PST. The only way around this is to use the UPS air which is a lot more expensive but does include the brokerage charges. I'm not sure if it includes the GST also.
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Re:

Wally Schneeberger wrote:Dennis -- I never have anything delivered UPS. Their brokerage charges are ridiculous. I ask to ship USPS and the duty charge is $5 and no brokerage. You also have to pay the GST & PST. The only way around this is to use the UPS air which is a lot more expensive but does include the brokerage charges. I'm not sure if it includes the GST also.
I inquired about USPS before but it doesn't show as an option in the shopping card in the software. How do I go about getting that sorted out? On order or should I get a hold of Melanie?

Thanks Wally
Duane Marrett
Thermwood Team

Post by Duane Marrett »

Hi Denis,

I can add the Hafele hinge HF-34393502 to the site tomorrow morning. Looks like the cost per hinge will be $.53 each or $30.13 for 57. I'll let you know when it is available to order tomorrow morning.

As for adding USPS shipping on the site, let me look into it tomorrow, and I'll let you know. If nothing else, we can probably ship USPS from a phone/email order.

Starting with Version 6.0 of eCabinets, all component ordering will be done through the Member Store (we are adding quite a few new features to go along with this). This will help us keep a more up-to-date product and pricing listing.
Thanks,

Duane Marrett
Thermwood/eCabinet Systems
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Thanks Duane. I appreciate this.

Cheers
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Denis L'Heureux wrote:Thanks Duane. I appreciate this.

Cheers
Yes -- Melanie has done this for me previously. I think if a US company wants us Canadians to order from them then they should realize what our costs really are. UPS are the biggest rip offs of Canadians that there is. A lot of company's don't know how much brokerage fees are through UPS. This is a big deterrent to ordering through the program.