Parts cutting errors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Parts cutting errors

Post by Gene Davis »

Got parts from a production-sharing shop. In a 17-sheet job, with a couple hundred parts, two got cut wrong.

Looking at the cabinets and parts in the software, they look correct, but in actuality I have:

One basecab deck that is 1/2\" too wide. It has tenoned ends for blind dado joinery, and both tenons are there. The mortises are correctly cut in both \"gable\" ends. I whacked it off and did the joint as a butt.

One middle back in a lazy susan, which has a tenoned end for which the half-depth crosscut was not made to define the tenon. We chopped in with the saw to fix it.

Why the hiccups?
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

not sure if it might be a similar event or not, but I ran a bunch of dovetail drawers a couple of weeks ago and the bottom for one drawer came out short by about 1/2\", and the sides for a second drawer were short by about the same. They were different width drawers, so I didn't just mix up the bottoms. Everything on the program looked fine. I couldn't figure it out, and was hoping it was just a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

We ran a large job today and one of the drawer heads (laminated cabs with slab drawers) came out with a blind dado tenon on each end. I chalked it up to my inferior programming skills but in looking back, I could not find an error anywhere.
After reading these two, I wonder if I have a gremlin? :twisted: ? I am hoping it really was me.
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Gentlemen
Could you post the jobs or cabinets that are causing the issues? Pulse any further information would be appreciated such as which cabinet or drawer box from the job and what parts are wrong.

Thanks
Walker