Cab depth change? Easy? Noooooo.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Cab depth change? Easy? Noooooo.

Post by Gene Davis »

It seems as if cabs with drawers in them react badly when the cab depth is fiddled with.

Why? What is so hard about changing a 23.5 depth to say, 26, and just have the extra 2.5 inches pooch out the back?

I don't want different drawerslides. I don't want deeper drawerboxes. I just want to add depth to the cab (and thus the countertop that sits on top).

I have a room to fill with cabs for which the owner wants the terribly skewed just-completed expensive tile job masked with a skewed cab install. That means my 23 3/4 cabs go tight to the wall at one end, and 16 feet down the wall, I either need a cab 28 3/4 deep, or FIVE INCHES of shims.

Installation-wise, I would rather just do the deeper boxes, but now I am up against software that doesn't make it easy.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Set your drawer box minimum increments.
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Gene,

Rick has nailed it - set the drawer box minimum to the depth of your preferred drawer box. I use Blum Tandems, so I set it at 21\" for kitchen cabs. Then the cabinet can be any depth over 21\" - which can get you into trouble knowing the Blum slide needs an extra inch for operation - but it is assumed (!) you know what you're doing. Base cabinets can be changed to 30\" with no change to the drawer geometry.

Easy, YES! But you have to learn the software which while frustrating at times pays off real big later on.

Note: I wasn't using this feature correctly since drawer boxes were first introduced! Then I commented to my production sharing host about the frustration. He told me how he addresses the issue (as Rick addressed) and I haven't worried about it since. Lesson learned: If something frustrates you about using this software chances are you need to learn something new in either the manual or on this forum. Keep asking questions!
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

I always set drawers using minimum depth increments, and those settings match my drawerslide specs. For basecabs, using my preferred Grass Airmatic slides, the setting is 21 inches.

The issue is real, and having the drawer min depth increment set to 21 or whatever doesn't keep the software from \"insetting\" the doors when cab depth is increased AFTER cab design is done and saved as a seed.

Try it yourself.

I can work around this, but I wish I did not have to.
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Gene
Could you post the cabinet so I can take a look at it?
Thanks
Walker
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Gene,
Do we need to call 911 and have them send a police car to your shop?
Some one must be holding a gun to your head forcing you to use such a shitty software package.....

Seriously, you got to quit putting down e-cabs. If you dont I am afraid you will get no help from any one here. Take that as fact, not all messages are posted on this forum for public viewing.I know e-cabs is not perfect,I know there are things that I would like to see different, and I know for a fact that they are working on them. I also know that there are no perfect software packages available at any price. Its pretty basic, if there simple and very easy to use, I can assure you that you cant do much with them.

We got a great group on this forum, if you ask a question, you will get a answer. If you have an idea on how to improve the software from your view point, post it or send it directly to thermwood, they WILL look at it and consider it.

If your truly so unhappy with e-cabs, use your sketch up or buy something else and join there forum, from my experience, youll wait 2 or 3 days for any help.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Gene
Are you changing the cabinet’s size in custom layout or the cab editor? I have reproduced the drawer front being pulled in to the cabinet but the drawer box does not stick out the back.
Thanks
walker
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

What is happening is that you are giving up too quickly before finding the real issue with your design and/or settings. You are looking at one setting without understanding that other settings can have a direct and opposite effect on that setting.

In one of your earlier posts I suggested that you enroll in a Thermwood training class and I still think that is the best answer for you to get the most from the software.

You will learn more in a 3 or 5 day class than you will \"winging it\" in a year.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

Michael S Murray wrote:Gene,
Do we need to call 911 and have them send a police car to your shop?
Some one must be holding a gun to your head forcing you to use such a shitty software package.....
Police? How 'bout calling a WWAAAHHHHHmbulance.

:lol:
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Gene

The drawer front being pulled in to the cabinet has been fixed for 5.2.
However I was unable to reproduce the drawer box sticking out the back, if you could post your cabinet maybe I can get that resolved too.
Thanks
Walker
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Mike & Mike
You are cracking me up!

But...Let's help the man, even if he shoots the s/w down a thousand times...We know that overall it's still better and cheaper than anything out there! :wink:
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Paul Ellis wrote:...But...Let's help the man, even if he shoots the s/w down a thousand times...We know that overall it's still better and cheaper than anything out there!...
Its not the fact that he finds fault with eCabinets--we all have at sometime or another--it is that every solution offered "won't work in his situation." The reason the solutions don't work is that he stops looking for the real issue and decides that is the only answer.

As we all know, eCabinets provides many paths to the same destination. You only have to explore those alternate paths to find which is the best method for your chsoen construction style.

Help him? Of course he will continue to receive fast and free help here. After all, we all benefit when someone learns the software and helps to improve it through constructive suggestions.

Constructive suggestions are not, however, making eCabinets look and behave the same as other software packages. Let's keep improving eCabinets for what it is and not make it like all the others.

Can eCabinets be made more intuitive and easier to use? Of course. Can it be made more flexible? Of course. Can it be made more powerful? Of course.

All of these improvements require input from us, the users. Without that input the software designers and programmers have no way of knowing our needs. Having said that, eCabinets is not, and should never be like, all of the other software packages.
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

\"The issue is real, and having the drawer min depth increment set to 21 or whatever doesn't keep the software from \"insetting\" the doors when cab depth is increased AFTER cab design is done and saved as a seed. \"

Gene,

In my shop I call making changes AFTER the cab design is done a NEW SEED CABINET! In that new seed I will have to adjust some dims/parameters. I see your point, but I don't blame the software - and believe me, in the passed I jumped all over the software. I believe I know where you are coming from. You'll get more help if you check the attitude at the door - or in this case, keyboard.

Hang in there - we are all just are worried you might be possesed by a CV or KCDw poltergeist :lol:

Dale

P.S. I can't seem to locate the \"exorcism\" radio button in ecabs.... :twisted:
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Dan,
With your response to my posting you actually expanded on my sentiments exactly. I am actually quite lazy, thats why I only asked ...keep on helping him because we know...(the workarounds, limitations and attitude you have to have.)
Unfortunately, you get persons that get frustrated when going into a 'new' area (meaning ecabs) with certain preconceptions on how its supposed to be. When they then find its not exactly as they thought it would be, they then vent their frustration (anger?) in such a way to anger others as well and once they get you angry they have an ally and they have won the precieved battle.

Thats enough philosyphy (phil-101)!

Dale,

You should ask Dan for the button. If I remember correctly it's a bluish-purple colour with squigly black lines coming from it. It has featured once or twice in some of the posts! :wink:
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Oh man don't get him started.