designs from other software into e-cabs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

denny michels

designs from other software into e-cabs

Post by denny michels »

Is it possible to take a kitchen design from another software such as 20/20 and put it into e-cabs and add items such as countertops? Or vice versa make a countertop in e-cabs then put it into 20/20? I ask because i have both software and sometimes it's easier to make something in one than it is in the other. And 20/20 has many appliances cataloged so if i could take it from one and add to the other it would make it so much easier.
denny michels

Post by denny michels »

Didn't think so
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Short answer...you already guessed it--no. The only thing near that is what Ken posted recently about receiving job files from other software into Control Nesting. You cannot import them into eCabinets however.
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

You can actually,

I do it all the time for items that cant resonably be made in ecabs, however you will loose all the texture and color data. First you have to be able to convert the file to .stl ot .hsf. I have only seen that light wave uses .hsf, but 20 20 might as well. STL files are fairly standard. I know that Inventor, Solidworks, and router cam do it. You then save the .stl file in the imported items folder in ecabs. Then using the object editor (I forgot what it is called, the icon of the golored glass looking thing) you can save the stl as a hsf and add color, shine, wood grains, etc.

What I would really like to do though is to export my 3D layout to Chief Archaetect or Auto Desk. I am afraid that i am going to have to look at using a Auto Desk compatible product as I get more high end design work.

Mike
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

But you lose all of the joinery and just get a 3D Display Object.

That \"colored glass looking thing\" is the Display Part Editor (not to be confused with the Part Editor).

As for HSF files from other applications, HSF (Hoops Streaming Format) is a file specification that dictates the minimum data required. Vendors (Thermwood) routinely add additional data in the file that effectively makes it a proprietary file format.

You might get lucky and get some of the joinery like this but most likely you will not.