Construction Settings -

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leslie Strawson

Construction Settings -

Post by Leslie Strawson »

Hi everyone. I am new to this software and am learning just a bit although, maybe because i was going through some setting and may have done something wrong, I am unable to use Construction Settings for Left and Right Ends.
The only one available for changing is the Front.
Top, Bottom and Back are grayed out. Insets are available and currently at 0\".

Any ideas on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Seems like great software and this forum is excellent.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Hi Leslie and welcome to the family.

We need a little more information to be able to help you. Are you in the Main screen of the Cabinet Editor or one of the sub-editors such as Shelf and Partition Editor or Face Frame Editor?

You have to be in the Main screen for those settings to be available. In the sub-editors, only settings pertaining to that editor are available.
Leslie Strawson

Hi Dan and thanks.

I am in the main screen. I start ecab, select Develop cabinets or assemblies, standard cabinets, select any seed. When it opens, i go directly to the construction window by pressing 'C' on the keyboard. Select right or left end and those areas mentioned are grayed out. Parameters for left and right ends appear to be the defaults, Datto - 3/8\", Depth and Fit clearance are 1/100\".
The top, deck and back are all accessible.

Hope this helps a bit...

Les
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, I think I know what you are talking about now (see attached picture).

The joinery settings for top, bottom and back are set on those parts. For example, to have the top blind dadoed to the ends, set the left and right joinery to blind dado on the top (see 2nd picture). Do the same for the deck and back.
Attachments
Construction Settings 1.jpg
Construction Settings 1.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
Construction Settings.jpg
Construction Settings.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
Leslie Strawson

Dan, I tried what you described and the result is no different for the left and right ends. The first pic is exactly what i have. I am late for work but when i get back i will post some pics for review.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Les
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

to continue a little further from where Dan was heading...
The joinery options depend on how the part is constructed. ie does the top connect to the sides, or do the sides connect to the top. If you change the placement so that the Top is flush, it should open those boxes to select the joinery for the top on the left and right gables. Same thing for the deck. Right now, you should have all the joinery options available for the top, whiel the ones for the gables are greyed out. Once you change the placement option, hit ok, then go back into construction settings to change your joinery. Sometimes the construction settings manager won't update multiple changes that depend on one another all at once. You may change everything, but then discoer that only the first thing actually changed and the rest reverted to the default.
in other words:
- select the placement options you want
- hit ok
- re-enter the construction settings and select the joinery method you want
- hit ok
Leslie Strawson

OK... so i messed around a bit and now have the base seed that i require. The fields in Right/Left Side are still grayed out but I do have what i was looking for. Basically, the deck, left and right need to have dado at back, 1/2\" so the 1/2\" back fits. The top front and back have 4\" stretchers and the back is butt to the back panel. The deck is raised 1 3/4\" with butt sides and back.
I would post pics of the settings if i can find a decent way to post it. I see that Dan has a good way to post the construction settings dialog but i haven't figured that out yet since once it is open, the save image as jpeg is not accessible. :(

At least i have got this far. Now to add a few drawers to it, with accuride sliders, I will be happier. Just a learning curve that i need to get through. I know this program can do so much more and want to learn it.

By the way, I am designing a computer desk with 2 pedestals that house drawers/shelves, top is 64x24 and a hutch on top with 2 doors and a center storage that is open but not as deep. It is my first attempt at design using a computer so everything is new to me.

thanks again to Dan and Mark.

Les
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Leslie Strawson wrote:...I would post pics of the settings if i can find a decent way to post it. I see that Dan has a good way to post the construction settings dialog but i haven't figured that out yet since once it is open, the save image as jpeg is not accessible...
You can hold the CTRL key and press the Print Screen key. This will copy the image from the active window into the clipboard. Then you just paste it into a graphice program (Irfanview, MS Paint, etc.) and save it as a jpg.

I use a program named SnagIt for screen captures. It allows you to add enhancments like the circles, arrows, callouts, etc and it is only $39.95.
Tony Marrazzo

Re:

Post by Tony Marrazzo »

DanEpps wrote:
Leslie Strawson wrote:...I would post pics of the settings if i can find a decent way to post it. I see that Dan has a good way to post the construction settings dialog but i haven't figured that out yet since once it is open, the save image as jpeg is not accessible...
You can hold the CTRL key and press the Print Screen key. This will copy the image from the active window into the clipboard. Then you just paste it into a graphice program (Irfanview, MS Paint, etc.) and save it as a jpg.

I use a program named SnagIt for screen captures. It allows you to add enhancments like the circles, arrows, callouts, etc and it is only $39.95.
I wondered how you were doing that!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Tony Marrazzo wrote:I wondered how you were doing that!
Oops!!! I let one of the wizard tricks out of the bag. :lol:

Once you try SnagIt, you'll love it. It does much more than just capture screen shots.
Michael Kowalchuk

Post by Michael Kowalchuk »

The new IrfanView (V4.10) has a nifty paint feature now, too.

http://www.irfanview.com/

MRK
Attachments
IrfanView 4.10
IrfanView 4.10
irfan.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Leslie Strawson

Ok...sorry it took this long but i now have some pics ...
these settings work for what i am doing. Will need to figure out how to add a bottom filler in and then drawers and hardware. I will give those a shot by trying, seaching the forums for answers, before asking.

thanks for the Snagit program info...i like it.

ok...so i select the jpg to add and preview it, it shows the file name but no picture. Will it show after i submit?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Leslie Strawson wrote:ok...so i select the jpg to add and preview it, it shows the file name but no picture. Will it show after i submit?
Yep. Preview doesn't really work too well in phpBB (the forum software) and I never use it. If I want to see what I posted, I just look at the message after submitting it.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

One other thing Leslie...when you click the browse button and select the file to upload, don't click the \"Add Attachment\" button. That is to add a second (or third) file to the post.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Leslie,

Think of it as Master (tenon) and Slave (dado). Because by default, the top will dado into the end panels making the top the master and the end panels the slave. If you changed the construction so that the top sits on top of the end panels then the end panels are the master and the top is the slave. Those construction fields will then open up for the end panels. Insets are used to changed the part size. Hope this helps.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com