Kitchen island cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Patrick Russell

Kitchen island cabinets

Post by Patrick Russell »

How do you place cabinets back to back to create a kitchen island cabinet in custom layout?
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

First place a wall then put cabinets on both sides of that wall then remove the wall and move the cabinets together using move increments.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Interesting technique Terry, thats one I need to try, Patrick if all else fails you can still do island as an assembly too then insert as one.
We love what we do, we do it well.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

I just took the class out in Dale last week and thats how Dan taught us to do islands with cabinets back to back. I wanted to ask how to do an upper island cabinet with doors on both sides and I forgot...
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Terry Davis wrote:I just took the class out in Dale last week and thats how Dan taught us to do islands with cabinets back to back. I wanted to ask how to do an upper island cabinet with doors on both sides and I forgot...
Geez, I guess I'm out of the loop being absent for a while. Still I'll have to try it. Did they have any tips for the wall cabs? Or back to assemblies?
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

We learned quite a few tricks, making glass shelves, showing doors partially open and so on, the training manual they give you has a wealth of information.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You can also use the rotate dialog and freestyle to move them into place manually. Then you can snap them together with the align to zero tool.......Wait a minute , we don't have that tool in that editor yet. ( hint hint ). :wink:
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Terry,

To add doors to the backside of an upper or lower cabinet - select \"no back\" in the settings of your cabinet and add another cabinet the same size. On this cabinet remove all parts except for the face frame. You can then rotate the face frame 180° and align it to the back of your original cabinet.

You will need to save the cabinet as an assembly.

Mark
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

What do you do when your cabinets are frameless?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I had the same questions about 2 months ago. I guess kitchen islands are something that thermwood team should pay some attention to. So far eCabinets has worked great for us as far as square boxes are concerned. Our company works with lots of curves and also angled and recessed parts you really have to learn to cheat with the program to build cabinets and parts like that. Let's not say that the moment u start cheating the program gets really buggy. I have been working on some assemblies for the past 2 days and even simple actions in a group of cabinets makes the program to crash.

Anyways back to the topic. When I did the islands I used some panel parts and just added them and saved the whole group as an assembly. No hardware holes or dado construction. Pretty much I just cut some parts for the cabinet makers.

You can design a lot of stuff in eCabinets for presentation purposes but the bottom line is that the program is a tool for a better use of a Thermwood router. It's secondary to the machine. It's the main advertising tool of the company's router. So please make some progress in that direction. Make it more flexible and less buggy.

Don't get me wrong I love your router. I does all I want it to. But the program can help it a lot more. I know you are working on it so good luck.

P.S. I guess those assemblies really got me offline
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Terry,

I don't build frameless, but I would guess if you left the back off you would simply add doors to the back side of the cabinet, just as you would the faceframe

Mark
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I think that u can play with the thickness of the face frame too. So define some kind of very thin matterial (I will even try with 0) and stick it on the back. Remove the back of the cabinet before that. May be it will work that way. I will try it myself