Another one for the wish list

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Lamar Horton

Another one for the wish list

Post by Lamar Horton »

When adding mid stiles and mid rails, could we have an option to place a fixed shelf or partition behind it. Sort of like adding a drawer box behind a drawer face. There could be a check box to check if you wish to add or not along with the parameters.

I have been doing a lot of built in entertainment centers and really could use something like this.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Didn't a previous version automatically add face frame components when a fixed shelf existed before you added face frames? It doesn't do that now but I seem to remember that happening in the past.
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

If it did it was before my time, why was it removed? I started in V4
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

That sounds like a good one.

Speaking of faceframes, I would like to have the option in the faceframe editor to specify various thicknesses for the outside members. This would be really handy for furniture applications. As it is currently you can manipulate the editor into doing whatever you like for inside members (mid-rails and styles), but you can only get one thickness for the outside rails and stiles.

While I'm wishing...

I think it would be really nice to have some sort of Configuration Manager that would allow us to lock nodes of one item to another item. So, if you connect two assemblies they could be parametrically and positionally linked to each other. For instance, if you create a two sided assembly from a face framed cabinet without a back and a face frame without a cabinet you could link these together by their nodes, then changing the dimensions of one would affect the other. Items would have to be linked by two nodes for a dimensional tracking, and just one node for a positional tracking.

Joe
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re: Another one for the wish list

Post by Joe Soto »

Lamar Horton wrote:When adding mid stiles and mid rails, could we have an option to place a fixed shelf or partition behind it. Sort of like adding a drawer box behind a drawer face. There could be a check box to check if you wish to add or not along with the parameters.

I have been doing a lot of built in entertainment centers and really could use something like this.
It kind of works in reverse if you use mid rail float. Put you shelf where you want it then add a rail and adjust using the float feature. I would rather set the rails first then add a shelf to it too. Joe
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Lamar Horton wrote:If it did it was before my time, why was it removed? I started in V4
I started with v4 also...my memory is probably wrong. :lol:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, even though my memory fails me at times (a lot of times), I knew I had used this feature before.

In fact, the current version Help Manual (from the help menu) clearly states what I thought I remembered. The questions is, where did this feature go? I know I have used it before but it doesn't work now.
Attachments
Construction Settings 1.jpg
Construction Settings 1.jpg (244.03 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

So,

Does it or doesn't it?

Tis the question.

Nope don't
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

No it doesn't. I just tried it on a frameless cabinet from the standard cabinet directory.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

No, it doesn't work now. It used to and eCabinet Systems Made Easy says it does, but it doesn't.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I agree Joe, that would be handy. We do a lot of open shelving where the sides and shelves are the same depth, yet we manipulate the thickness of the wood edging (3/4 for stiles, 5/8 for rails) to accommodate a 1/8 round over on all the wood stock. So it would be nice not to have to sort through it.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Well Thermwood,

Add this one back to the list!!! :lol:
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650