Full overlay reveal question

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Snodgrass

Full overlay reveal question

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

We usually use a 1/8\" reveal between all doors and drawer heads on full overlay jobs.
We are experimenting with 1/4\" now and like the look very well.
However, when you have a 33\" wide opening and you would like to use a set of double doors with matching drawer heads above them, you wind up with a 1/4\" wide gap between the double doors. I prefer not to use a center stile with the double doors.
What do you guys think?
JohnJenkins

Post by JohnJenkins »

Hello Mike

When we build frameless, (I'm assuming you are frameless) we use the 1/8\" reveal as well, but on double doors, we reduce the double door gap to 1/8\" also, this allows us more adjustment on double doors (sometimes coming in a little fat on the width). I'm with you, I dont like a mid stile between double doors. Try reducing just the double door gap to 1/8\". Hope this helps.
John Jenkins

Coastal Cabinetry & Millworks, Inc.
Mike Snodgrass

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

No, we use 1 1/2\" stiles and rails.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Mike we build face frame cabinets as well...1/4\" reveals are what we use - but we only leave 1/8\" between butt cabinet doors. If you use a good adjustable hinge you will find 1/8\" works best between butt door openings.

Mark
Mike Snodgrass

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

so if you have a 1/8\" gap between butt doors, what do you have between the drawer heads above?
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

We leave a 1/4\" between doors and drawer heads...the idea is to pull the butt doors together as close as possible so they create the look of a single panel, but still allow for them to move seasonally and not bind. No one wants to be able to see into the cabinet between the doors...years ago we used to leave the 1/4\" reveal and add a false stile to the back of one of the doors.

Mark