Adjustable Shelf Holes Wish

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Adjustable Shelf Holes Wish

Post by Georgi Baltov »

We are having a little wish that I would like to direct towards the eCabinets program engineers. When you put adjustable shelves in eCabinets it centers the shelf according to the thickness of the material. I know that it is not hard for you guys to create an option to center the holes and not the shelves. Our cabinetmakers are getting so lazy now that we provide all the hardware holes that they dont even measure which is the bottom and which is the top on a cabinet gable. So they often flip them. I can center them by resizing the top opening when I put a shelf (remove 3/8\" from it) but the thing is I forget as well - mainly because I have to do it separatly for each cabinet and sometimes I forget where I changed it and where I didnt and some kitchens have 15 or more cabinets and it becomes a mess. So if it is not a big deal could you creat such an option.

P.S I know that I havent been a good boy this year (I have been very critical about eCabinets) but if not for me do it for the other programmers. Thank you
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Georgi,

I'm curious, are you cutting your parts on a router?

Steve
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Yeah, we got the router about 10 months ago. It used to run about 4 hours per day. Now it's running full work day and Saturdays. We program all cabinets on eCab and then cut them on the router. It's easy to control and you have a history of what you have actually built in time. Plus if you make a mistake it's easy to find who did it. Hehe ME. It saves lots of time because all you have to do after is just put the cabinet together. We've pushed some laminated cabinets in no time. It used to take us forever to do them before.
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Georgi,

Congratulations on what sounds like success in your business.

We are anticipating the arrival of our router and are trying to design our cabinets with blind dados in such a way as to prevent the assembly guys from putting a part in the wrong place. We are using different setbacks on the tenons and thicknesses etc.

I'd be curious as to what you and others might be doing to force correct assembly through your designs. Anyone care to share construction setting strategies with respects to this issue?

Steve
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I mark all my gables for top front. If your using labels, then where you place them on the part can be used to denote top or bottom.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Steve our cabinet makers still flip the parts that have blind dado on them. There is no real warranty. We have state of the art drawings done on AutoCad and we give them to the cabinet makers and they still flip the parts sometimes. I guess the same way I get dislexic sometimes when I punch in the dimensions of the cabinets. It's much easier and everyone likes it now. It makes assembly so much easier. You still need to check which side is up or down but that's all.

But that's not all. We are really custom. There's nothing the same with us. So we would do curved profiles. Started cutting our own corian if it comes with funny shape. I dont really like the Profile Modeler on the machine so I opted for Mastercam Router Pro that I hope to get for xmas but now everything seems to be possible.

And there's something else. We got a v-groove 45degree bit that makes cuts in veneered MDF so you dont see joint, the grain continues on all sides. It's amazing how fast you can do some cabinets with it now.

And still we need to learn a lot more. We are still experimenting to learn the best way to do things. I cant really tell you how to do cabinets because I am not sure what kind of work you are doing and what materials. But you will see a big positive difference when you get the machine. I think it pays off in no time.
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

We recognized this would be a problem early on so our solution was to put a 5mm hole 2 mm deep on our cabinet part sides to designate the top of the part.
Attachments
hole.jpg
hole.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I guess I'm confused as to what parts you guys have that are the same top and bottom. Do you make a wall unit back captive all the way around?
Or maybe not captive top and bottom.

Forrest
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

We make our doors flush to the bottom with a 1/4\" reveal at the top, so if the wall cabinet side gets flipped, so does the reveal on that part. We use a 3\" hinge center which means the wall cabinet sides are drilled with a 3\" center at the bottom and a 3 1/4\" center at the top. I should also add 90 percent of our work is commercial and frameless.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Georgi
Sorry I can't help you with your problem directly but I'm waiting for my Thermwood to arrive early next year.
With my current machine which is a multicam clone, I have trouble with my sides or cable ends. When you put them inside to inside they aren't perfectly level or flush. One side we feel is a 1mm out of square. We have gone through our program and multicam settings but as we are due to change over to Ecabinets the solving of the problem need has deminished. Could you tell me what your result are? Are your left and right sides the same?
Getting back to your problem, with our software we have been able to 0.25mm v groove the part details where the parts butts into another part. This overcomes wrong sticker placement and wrong assembly construction. It does slow the process down though. This won't appeal to everyone but suits our volume.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Steve,

I am glad to hear you are getting a router. I have moved just acros the bridge from you near DSM Chemicals. Maybe now you will have the time to go fishing or something.

You may also have time to cut my parts seing you are about 6 miles from me.

Mike
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Neville,

I am not sure what do you mean not perfectly flush. Anyways with the thermwood I havent had any trouble with precision. If the machine makes an outline cut on the part then I am sure it is perfectly square and everything is the same on all parts. You might have some trouble on flip operations but only is your material is not flat. We use prelaminated plywood because our clients require it. The plywood basically sucks and I hate it but it works and makes money for us. What can you do? When I cut MDF veneer or particalboard the flip result is perfect. Flat and square you always get a good result.

I would recoment you do all your cabinets with blind dado. It easy to locate parts and the cabinet is very strong. Figure out your blind dado offsets because the edgebander might be influenced by the grooves so you might need to increase them more than the 1\" default. For fit clearance use either .015\" or .020\". Depending what is the quality of your board. for depth clearance use around .030\". We use 3/4\" back inset 1/2\" so we can attach split batten for the upper cabinets. You need to cheat the program to get that dado done but figure out how you are going to build your cabinets and then we can talk more.

Good luck
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Georgi,

I believe that this is on the list of items to complete for a future update. We are going to allow for system holes. A user would specify front and back insets as well as top and bottom. Then it would fill in the holes in between.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

That's great news.

I wonder Jason. With the system holes how will this affect the holes for the hinges? Will this be additional to those holes?

Is this a near future update? If so I will need to stop building my library.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

We should start a topic for each editor in eCabinets about different suggestions and upgrades. There are always priorities but still some ideas are pretty good and will help a lot. Posting here and there and the topics get lost and we keep repeating each other doesnt really work well. We should get more organized. For the sake of eCabinets