Just a thought for the E-cabs Team

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Vince Lisanti

Just a thought for the E-cabs Team

Post by Vince Lisanti »

Hello Guys,

After reading many posts of others wishes and questions, I have a question/suggestion as well.

\"Texture Match\" I know nothing about programming so I may be totally wrong here ,but could you change the program to make Texture Match a lot more liberal in its function. What I mean is allow \"any part\" to be selected and texture matched to any other texture.

This would easily allow shelves to be texture matched to glass and viewed with the ability to change sizes freely and not lose the glass. (A Glass Material would have to be made and saved in sheet goods)
This also allows the shelf pin holes to still be placed and bored as well.

There are other situations that come up on occasion where being able to texture match a part that now can not be selected would make life a lot easier.

Thanks for all the years of innovative thinking, great service, and support!

Happy Holidays !

Vince

CCS woodworks inc.
Justin Melhiser

Re: Just a thought for the E-cabs Team

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Vince

The best place to post suggestions is under communications and feedback in eCabinet Systems.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Making suggestions for the software through the Communications and Feedback dialog is kind of cumbersome. It doesn't quite have the flexibility that a post on this forum has (like spell checks and other editing features), and it generally doesn't get you much feedback. A nice thing about posting a suggestion or wish list here is that one of the other members might be able to suggest work arounds until a new feature is implemented.

Maybe we need a suggestions forum.

Joe
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

If Justin's intentions are to keep such dialog from cluttering up this forum, which is understandable, possibly, a new forum could be created for such endeavors? I feel that active discussion between members regarding features we would like to see implemented in the future is a critical component of what makes eCabinets unique. Should we squelch such open dialog by insisting on using the embedded "Feedback" form within eCabinets, the continuing progress of eCabinets will become stagnant.

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year to all!

Chris Robinson
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Putting the suggestion in through the Commutations and Feedback link ensures that the suggestion is recorded in the proper place. Putting the suggestion on the forum does allow other users to add their input, but it is always possible the suggestion will not be recorded and there for it could be lost. Justin is just trying to make sure that the suggestion/requests are funneled into one spot that will be looked at and considered.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Anyone see a problem with posting a suggestion on here then copying and pasting it into the feedback form as well,with a note saying "Posted via Feedback Form". Then you can use all the features here, have a chance of a user posting a getaround and getting it logged in the right place for the programers. Posting the note advising that it has already been logged in feedback will make users aware that it has been logged as well.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Joe
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Joe Dusel wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me...
Me too! So good in fact, that I posted something very similar abour a year ago in a PDF titled How to Get the Most Out of the Forum (on the last page under "Problem Solved").

I'm happy that someone is bringing this back to the forefront.

One of the biggest problems in searching any forum has always been that most threads do not have a title that is very descripting of the actual problem. If we could get everyone to use descriptive titles and to add to their post that it had been sent to technical support then add the solution, it would be very helpful to everyone.

Here is an excerpt from that section of the PDF:
Problem Solved!

When your problem is solved be sure to post a reply letting everyone know that it has been solved and what the solution was. Not only is this just good manners, it helps others find solutions in the future.

I suggest that every solution should be a separate reply to the thread and have the subject and first line in the body SOLUTION

Doing this makes it easier to search for solutions in the future.

Example:

Subject: SOLUTION

Message Body: SOLUTION

This problem was solved by changing the left end inset….

What if the Problem is not Solved in the Forum?

As stated earlier, eCabinet Systems is a complex piece of software and no two members us it exactly in the same manner so problems do arise that cannot be solved in the forum or bugs are identified.

When this happens the issue should be sent to eCabinet Systems Technical Support with reference to the forum thread. Send an email to cabinets@thermwood.com with the same subject as the thread and copy the URL from the thread into the email message body as a reference for the technical support staff. To get the URL open the thread and left-click once in the address box in your browser to highlight the address. Hold the control key and press the C key. Back in your email, hold the control key and press the V key to paste the URL into the email.

Be sure to post a reply stating that the issue has been sent to technical support via cabinets@thermwood.com.

Once technical support provides a solution please post that solution as provided above in Problem Solved.
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Go Dan, great expansion on the idea. There's a site that I have been a member of for a while that deals in computer problems, you post a problem and other users post their solution, users get points when they succesfully answer a question to the authors satisfaction. The autor of a question has the ability to select the best or most relvant answer that solved his problem, this is used then by other people who have the same problem, they scan for similar problems then scroll down to the "Acepted solution".
Your idea works much the same pairing problems with solutions.
Thanks Dan
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I also use several software forums that have the "was this helpful" or "question answered" features. The problem I have always run into with the latter is that the forum moderator, not the original poster, always decided the question had been answered--even if it hadn't.

This forum software, phpBB, does not have such a feature in itself. There might be an add-in that provides that functionality but with the new version having been just released, I doubt such a mod has been converted yet.

I guess they only to get this rolling is for us to practice it ourselves. Maybe it will catch on.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Actually, phpBB DOES have a feature that lets you mark a post as "Solved." In order for it to work Dean would have to enable "Topic Icons" and add an icon for "Solved." I just tested it on my server (yeah, I'm going to move the eCabWorld forum to a phpBB3 environment) and it works. The icon I used is a check mark that is shown on the post that has the solution. It is only for the individual post though, and not the entire topic so it wouldn't be helpful when scanning the table of contents.
solved.jpg
solved.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 9208 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, it CAN be done if topic icons are enabled.

What has to happen is the the moderator or original poster must edit the first post in the thread and select the "Solved" icon. That causes the icon to change in the table of contents as shown in this image:
solved.jpg
solved.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

No wonder your the Wiz Dan !lol
That's just what i was talking about, might make it clearer for people looking for answers, BUT remember that there is always more than one way of getting a result with eCabinets, therefore more than one answer (hence the beauty and flexability of eCabs).....I'm wondering, I have seen sites that have "Accepted Answer" and "Helpful Answer" icons which allow you to tag your fav answer but also ones that contain info that assisted or contributed to the general solution.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I've seen sites like that also (Microsoft comes to mind). Most, if not all, are custom forums that are dedicated to technical issues and not a general purpose forum like phpBB is.

I think it functions much like a rating system where users can rate posts but I don't know of a feature/function like that for phpBB3.