Applying holes to Box bottoms???

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

MarcoKnjaschewitsch

Applying holes to Box bottoms???

Post by MarcoKnjaschewitsch »

Hey So i want to apply a hole pattern to the bottom of a box bottom for preset holes for where the glides will go on a meta box so it will automatically shift with size changes on parts...is this possible???
Todd Miller

Re: Applying holes to Box bottoms???

Post by Todd Miller »

MarcoKnjaschewitsch wrote:Hey So i want to apply a hole pattern to the bottom of a box bottom for preset holes for where the glides will go on a meta box so it will automatically shift with size changes on parts...is this possible???
Marco,
At this time Ecabinets does not allow part editor cuts in any part of a drawerbox.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

MarcoKnjaschewitsch wrote:Hey So i want to apply a hole pattern to the bottom of a box bottom for preset holes for where the glides will go on a meta box so it will automatically shift with size changes on parts...is this possible???
Marco,
At this time Ecabinets does not allow part editor cuts in any part of a drawerbox.
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

Post by MarcoKnjaschewitsch »

would this be something we could look forward to for newer eCabinet designing??? As this would help in setting of glides automatically instead of using the jigs supplied for certain companies...
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Marco,
I am unsure of if and when this feature would be added. I know that it is on the list, but the list is long.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I am currious about something related to editing the drawers. I know at this time you can not edit the drawers with notches, holes and such, but could you not load up a piece of sheet stock the same size as the drawer part in ecab and then take it into the parts editor and make holes, notches or whatever and then put the drawer part back on the machine as if it where the sheet stock and make your holes, notches, ect....

I know we lye to ecab all the time to make things work to our advantage, I was just currious about lying to the machine as well. I have not tried it yet and was just currious if anyone else has.
Damon Nabors
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You could probably do that if, and that's a big IF, you could get the parts positioned exactly where they need to be.

Maybe you could leave the skin then make the cutouts, etc???
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Damon...

certainly you can create parts the same size and modify them...even accurately lining it up on the machine isn't that difficult - we build jigs and hold downs for various parts to machine after being cut out from sheet goods. This is all good (although certainly not as efficent) as long as you have a number of parts which are identical in size or are a least being machined in the same position of the part each time. The problem lies in a variety of parts of different sizes and different machining needs...then it becomes a matter of how many parts your making as to whether or not it's practical on the router.

Just my own two cents...I would hope the guys in Dale have machining drawer box parts high on the list. It's wonderful to be the first to develop dovetailed drawer boxes in the nest...but that's old hat now all the big boys are promoting it. Question is...do "they" have the ability to drill, cut or rout other shapes and produce a better box? If so, we've fallen behind and if you're trying to be competitive in the market place we need to be able to offer more than a square box....

Mark
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I did make a resizable cabinet piece that I use for the notch and hole. I is time comsuming. Even if it were possible to notch and drill while cutting a dovetail box, the hole would be a flip-op. I have aslo tried cutting a slot in place of the hole and so far, it works. It is just faster and easier than drilling to a certain depth. I also made a resizable part that I use for my Metabox(I use Mepla Alfit). It still needs work because the hole pattern is different with drawer length. I think the Metabox is set-up for system holes but that's too many holes to drill in each part. I'll sent pic's in another reply.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

On the Metabox, I edgeband the top then cut to separate the bottom from the back. The through hole in the middle is so I can screw up into the back to support bigger drawers. I still needs work but can be done (as a cabinet, not as a drawer).
Attachments
Metabox.jpg
Metabox.jpg (19.35 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Notch and holes.jpg
Notch and holes.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 5631 times