Material jump

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Material jump

Post by Gene Davis »

I loaded 23 cabinets into a job batch, performed the nesting to have a look at quantities and optomization, and lo and behold, one part was in the wrong material.

The adjustable shelf of one wall cab, a cab with just one shelf, had crossed the line and instead of being in the batch with my 3/4 hardrock maple mel parts, was showing up in the small batch of parts I had made in "do not cut" stuff.

Going back into the job batch, pulling the cab into the cab editor, the offending shelf read right, material wise. I selected it and the material spec read hardrock maple. Back to nesting over again, it popped into the wrong stuff again.

The fix was to go back and bring the cab out of the batch into the cab editor, go into the partition/shelf editor, delete the shelf, then re-do it exactly as it was. Back to main and re-do the edgebanding.

All fixed.

But, why?
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: Material jump

Post by Peter Walsh »

Brings to mind that old quote:
"Ours is not to wonder why......"
regards for the holiday,
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Going back into the job batch, pulling the cab into the cab editor, the offending shelf read right, material wise. I selected it and the material spec read hardrock maple. Back to nesting over again, it popped into the wrong stuff again.
When you say the offending shelf read right, do you mean that it said the right material for the shelf in the construction settings dialog or when you placed your cursor on the shelf and the popup tooltip read the right materail? If you only check the construction settings dialog, the shelf could still be a different materail. The construction settings for shelf and partition are for the next added shelf/partition.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

In reply to Rick Deskins' query:

I "read" the material spec by going into the partition/shelf editor, selecting and highlighting the shelf part, and reading in the popup that the material was what it should be.

Furthermore, it was textured correctly with the same woodgrain color all my other Hardrock Maple Melamine G2S 0.765" were showing. My "do not cut" material is done in a dark gray monotone color so I can readily distinguish these parts in a cab or ass'y.

But it still was doing the jumpover into the "do not cut" nesting when processed. Only the delete and replace actions solved my little problem.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team

Post by Rick Deskins »

Well with that being the case if you still have a version of the cabinet that has this problem, please post it. It is something that should be looked into. Thanks.
Rick Deskins
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Rick Deskins:

It is a cab that is part of a job batch, and as such, was edited from a seed for size as it was brought into the batch. It may be best for you to see the entire batch, which is a little less than 8 megs in size, zipped.

Use messaging here to give me an email address for you that has a server through which that zip file can be sent, and I will attach it to a message.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team

Post by Rick Deskins »

Please send the job to cabinets@thermwood.com. Please put in the email subject line Materail Jump Issue for Forum. Thanks.
Rick Deskins
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team

Post by Rick Deskins »

The shelf that you are talking about does have the materail "3/4 divider do not cut" set on it from the get go. It is not jumping, however the jpg for that materail maybe. When I first open the job, the "3/4 divider do not cut" missing materail dialog came in as the same texture as the other materials. You can delete and readd the shelf to get the right materail on it, but you could also go to the shelf editor, highlight the shelf, then click on Construction Setting and hit ok to apply the right material to the shelf as well. I did notice that when I reset my materails database that the "3/4 divider do not cut" materail imported with a different jpg all together. (see jpgs in zip file)
pi.JPG
pi.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Attachments
shelfmaterialproblem.zip
(386.47 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Rick Deskins