Fold together veneer box?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

MarcoKnjaschewitsch

Fold together veneer box?

Post by MarcoKnjaschewitsch »

Has anyone ever made a fold together style veneer box where you would V-Groove 45 degree bevels inbetween bottom and sides leaving a thin skin to just glue and fold over creating a mitered looking box????
FredHirsch

Re: Fold together veneer box?

Post by FredHirsch »

We did something similar in the past, but had problems with the v-bit and accuracy (depth) at the machine. It wasn't that the machine was not accurate but getting a great reading every time between waste board surfacing etc... was extremely difficult. Also, we used a 90 v-bit and if you think about it, the tip of that bit is not going nearly as fast as the top outside, so the tip would wear very quickly and even new bits would not give a sharp enough cut. I've never seen a v-groove groove machine in action, but my understanding is it is more of a saw blade vs router/shaper bit.
Fred
Fred Hirsch
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Obviously it works theoretically...maybe Forest could offer some suggestions - I believe he was making posts/columns using this method or a method similar to it.

Mark
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

anyone on this???
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

This can be done easily with mdf or vaneer face material. Your tooling does wear on the tip but still a very fast and asthetic way of doing it.

Forrest
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Anyone try the new Amana 91 degree miterfold bit yet ? I saw a write up in woodshop news magazine this month .
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

I have two of Amana's new "insert" cutter heads...they are solid and run beautifully. I know the new 91° mitre fold is an insert cutter head as well. The tool body will run about $130 +/- (which comes with a set of insert blades for mdf) then the replacement carbide blades which can be reversed are only $16 @.

If you purchase these...be sure to pay attention to recommended spindle speeds - we've actually been running them under the maximum recommended speeds.

Mark
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

So how do people go about doing this with the thermwood? Would this be possible in the box editor as a standard but you cant add in the machine doing the mitered 45's can you???
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Presently you would have to lay it out in the part editor and then cut it with the profile modeler on the machine.

I actually laid up a box the other night at home for fun to see how it would work...I just don't have any time on the router at the moment to run it and see how it would come out.
Attachments
12 inch box.jpg
12 inch box.jpg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 12079 times
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

Ok question i have about profile modeler is how do i add tooling in such as a standard 1/2" 45degree VGroove bit to give me that appearance when choosing a tool? As tool i have for it don't look like those...Is there more files to download and add for more tooling options???
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Marco

These questions really belong in the Thermwood forum. It is for everything related to machines, control nesting and profile modeler. This forum is for the eCabinet Systems program.
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

WE have made several Desks and columns mitre folding with ecabs, our method:

1. Acurately measure the tooling
2.Create tool in shape manager(center on 0,0,0)
3. Load tool specs into tool manager at CN
4. In parts editor offset tool (comp out) amount you are cutting into spoil board(we use 1/32)
5. Make test cut,(use cutom tool for region in profile modeler) or have the tool loaded on the router and cut through CN..
6. measure, adjust from there...
7. load your sheets and go...

The cuts come out great as long as you dig the tip into the spoil board a little, we have also miter folded Solid surface and PLAM using this method
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

I tried doing this and 1 Problem when i go to nest i get a "ERROR In REGION #2" What am i doing wrong to this??!!?!
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Error in region 2 means that you are not using one tool to make the cut...you need to specify a custom tool in profile modeler....right now it is trying to make the miters using a variety of tools....

If you are using the correct profile there would only be one region in Profile Modeler....
Wood Butcher/Case Maker