Is eCabinet a closed software architecture?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Robert Williams

Is eCabinet a closed software architecture?

Post by Robert Williams »

Is eCabinet a closed software architecture or can third party software developers create software modulars or overlays for cab?

Thanks
Steve Palmer

Re: Is eCabinet a closed software architecture?

Post by Steve Palmer »

Hi,
I'm not one of the programmmers for this software, but if your asking if it has a open API, COM or other software language so as to be able to enter your code I would have to say no. The software people at ECab would be better to answer your question.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Robert Williams wrote:Is eCabinet a closed software architecture or can third party software developers create software modulars or overlays for cab?
I'm just curious; why do you ask?
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Robert Williams

The reason I ask is there are a few added features to eCab that would make the process a lot easier for our company to use the software, and now a days it is not difficult to get a programmer to create a simple overlay application or plug-in to existing software.
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Currently, we do not offer the ability to write your own plug-ins, etc. to the software. We DO however, take our members ideas/suggestions/feedback and add them into the software...depending on certain criteria such as popularity, ease, etc. Some ideas can be added fast and easily, while others may take more time. We do have an on going prioritized list.
What exactly would you like to see added to eCabinets or are what exactly are you trying to do?
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Jody,
I have been thinking about Thermwoods approach to their Ecabinets software. They give it out free but still like to know who is using it via registration. They encourage making catalogue cabinets and users selling those. Now someone is asking can they add onto the software to do in-house things. Couldn't this be a area of sharing that could be sold through the website?

If Thermwood vetted every approach to see what the addon was going to do then allowed them access on a certain number of provisions they would be covered. What springs to mind might be an advanced quoting program that takes it further than Thermwood wishes to go. Thermwood could put in the conditions that this is what will be allowed based on the users proposal. They could also say that the program must be made available to other users for a max price of X Dollars through the Ecabinets shop.
That way Thermwood could get some income from the third party software, they could cancel the developers ability to use the program by refusing re-register of Ecabinets if the agreement is broken.Thermwood could dictate the software used to create the software, the qualifications the programmer should have. They might even put in a three year plan where they can request changes to certain area's based on users requests from Ecabinet users.

The winners here will be Thermwood with a better all round production solution, the firms who wish to have a custom program that links into Ecabinets getting programming help from Thermwood programmers direct to their programmers thus the software becomes available quicker and Ecabinet users being able to purchase modules of what they feel will advance their operation. The other advantage is that Ecabinet programers can focus on the core Cad and production features that need advancing.

I'm not a programmer so my idea may be stupid. I hope its not as adding onto Ecabinets management tools sounds very productive to me.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Robert Williams

Jody Wilmes wrote:Currently, we do not offer the ability to write your own plug-ins

Will this be a possibility in the near future?
Jody Wilmes wrote:What exactly would you like to see added to eCabinets
1-In the drafting mode I would like to have the option to add tick marks instead of arrows to leader line terminators for dimensioning. Arrows are primarily used for mechanical design drafting and tick marks are adopted as the primary standard for Architects, Interior Designers, and Furniture Designers. Most Architects would be annoyed if architectural submittal drawings for cabinets had arrows for the dimensioning. I know this may sound extremely picky but I work with enough Architects and that's how a lot of them are.

2-Of course the oldie but goody, user defined molding would be great.

3-Some type of link to Excel or Access

I'm not complaining eCabinets is a fantastic software and I enjoy working with it more and more everyday.

Thanks
Robert Williams

Dean Fehribach wrote:I'm just curious; why do you ask?
It seems that the most successful and popular softwares are the ones that have an open architecture for third parties to create plug-ins. Also now a days it is easy to have programers create plugins for software, there are a few features that would make eCab more useful for our company.

Thanks
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Robert Williams wrote:It seems that the most successful and popular softwares are the ones that have an open architecture for third parties to create plug-ins. Also now a days it is easy to have programers create plugins for software, there are a few features that would make eCab more useful for our company.
You may want to re-read Section 2 of the Terms and Conditions of the current licensing agreement because it answers your question.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Robert,

Could I suggest that you send the eCabinets Team your recommendations for improvements via the customer feedback area in the software and let them have a go at them.

I would also ask that you post them here. They may prove useful to many of us and we can also push for the changes or additions. I like the idea of ticks. (I have always hated the arrows.)

Are any of the major cabinet design software packages actually "open" architecture?

Kerry
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Robert Williams wrote:
Jody Wilmes wrote:Currently, we do not offer the ability to write your own plug-ins

Will this be a possibility in the near future?
Jody Wilmes wrote:What exactly would you like to see added to eCabinets
1-In the drafting mode I would like to have the option to add tick marks instead of arrows to leader line terminators for dimensioning. Arrows are primarily used for mechanical design drafting and tick marks are adopted as the primary standard for Architects, Interior Designers, and Furniture Designers. Most Architects would be annoyed if architectural submittal drawings for cabinets had arrows for the dimensioning. I know this may sound extremely picky but I work with enough Architects and that's how a lot of them are.

2-Of course the oldie but goody, user defined molding would be great.

3-Some type of link to Excel or Access

I'm not complaining eCabinets is a fantastic software and I enjoy working with it more and more everyday.

Thanks
1. I'll add the tick marks to the suggestions, if it's not already.
2. User defined moldings are on the way.
3. Currently, the only link to Excel is when you create a cutlist. You have the option to export it out.
Robert Williams

Wow, you gotta love Thermwood, thanks for the adding it to the list of eCab suggestions
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Jody Wilmes wrote:
1. I'll add the tick marks to the suggestions, if it's not already.
2. User defined moldings are on the way.
3. Currently, the only link to Excel is when you create a cutlist. You have the option to export it out.

Jody,

This is outstanding news! Will it be included in a build or the next update? Will our current custom profiles be usable or will we have to recreate them?

Questions, man, I've got questions!!!!!

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.