Auto Save

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Auto Save

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Great idea Paul! This is definitely something we need priority on.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Auto Save would be OK as long as we can turn it off. I find auto save a nuisance in any software.

Kerry
Steve Palmer

Post by Steve Palmer »

Hi, I started this thread and I would like to see the feature in the setting/preferences menu. It would have a check box to turn the feature on or off. You could even break the feature up and have it save in different areas of the cabinet program by adding other check boxes.

Steve P.
Steve Palmer

Post by Steve Palmer »

Looking at Pauls post. If the program was in autosave and the file hadn't been created, then a dialog would pop up so the user could give it a file name. However, if the file had already been created then the save function would work in the backround without the user seeeing any interface. I would add a list box in the autosave menu so the user could enter the time in minutes that he/she would like the save feature to fire.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey every1

Hasnt this idea come up before? And that you can only save when u r in the main area of ecab? So if auto save happend and u were in the middle of adding a door or in part editor it would have to come out of the area u were in and go 2 the main area when u were in the middle of sumthing!

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers

Thom Davies
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Typically, an autosave feature only saves the current state of the file you have open and not the file itself. When a file is changed (using an autosave feature), changes are written to a special file and the original is marked as having unapplied changes. In order to implement it, the program would also have to have a recovery feature that would ask if you wanted to recover the file when you open it. The program would then apply the changes or go back to the unchanged file depending on your response.

It is a good, but not foolproof, feature and would probably not be easy to implement on a large program that has been developed without it. It might also slow eCabinets performance since the changes (along with the complete unchanged file) would have to be maintained in memory until written to disk.

Still, I like the idea of having it available but would like the choice to use it or not.
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

My $0.02,

In my previous life of mechanical and electrical engineering the subject of autosave always came up to people on the steep part of the learning curve. Once they disiplined themselves to save often, but only when they really wanted to write a file, the idea of autosave turned into a huge nuisance - say when you are experimenting with a change but hadn't made up your mind whether it was THE change to make. When the file would write you were left scrambling to revert to the previous written file.

It will be hard to please everyone on this but for entertainment sake I think the programmers should implement this feature if cost effective. Then we can read posts about people have files overwritten when the really didn't want it overwritten :lol: Future subject: "How do you turn off autosave???"

Happy Holidays everyone, and thanks for keeping me company in the shop today!

Dale
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

The "Autosave" feature I would like is that which is similar the MS excel. I have it set so a reminder pops up and prompts me to save, skip, or cancel.

Too often I get wrapped up in a job that I don't think about saving.