Version 5.2

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: Version 5.2

Post by Neville Bastian »

Sorry to be like a squeeky hinge but can't we have some countdown on version 5.2 release?

It seems the release has been the longest coming so I assume you are keen to make it 100% ready. The other thought about releases is have it available in advanced beta to the users. All who use it know its flakey and use it at their own risk. Once the powers feel it is ready for full release the Beta tag is removed. This gives you a higher user use in Beta form with the higher volume feedback but no complaints or issues as they know the risk when used.

With future releases happening via file download (I thought I read a few months back) this multiple version release would be a low cost way of getting it out to the users rather than sending DVD's?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Neville,

Hopefully V5.2 will be released later next week barring any setbacks. V5.2 which is just an update which will be downloaded when released. V6 which is a new version was generally sent out on cds but V6 and beyond should be available for downloads.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Great Jason,
So how many sleeps is that 7 or 8? Can't wait.
Don't worry if not perfect when released, we will work around the issues. Those who want it perfect can always wait a bit longer.

You shouldn't have mentioned 6. We'll be badgering you about that in a few months.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

No problem Neville, I used to it. :joker:
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

Neville Bastian wrote:Great Jason,

You shouldn't have mentioned 6. We'll be badgering you about that in a few months.
Neville

Look forward to Version 6 at IWF in August, if history is any guide.

Regards,
Glenn
Mark Fese

Post by Mark Fese »

Can we look forward to seeing it in the next issue of ecab magazine? Mark. Outlaw Carpenters 2009
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

I can hear the drum roll...but alas...nothing.
It is now Thursday and the week is almost to an end...SIGHHHHH!!!!
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Gregory Hairston

Post by Gregory Hairston »

Paul,
I know what you mean. i have not committed to Ecab yet still using KCDw and Ecab but I want to sign up for training but not until I see some things fixed. Seeing the progress on 5.2 would sure help me make the decision

Greg
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Greg

What are some of the things that you are unsure of in ecabinets? If you have any questions feel free to call me or send me an email with any questions you have about eCabinet Systems.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Justin I know this is getting off the theme of when is 5.2 going to be here but a good new post would be for Thermwoods interest would be" what is holding you back from using Ecabinets?"
If you had all the users of other software who want to migrate to Ecabinets but are holding back let them tell you why.
From their responses you may be able to offer work arounds and solutions. In some cases work arounds should be subsituted for simple program changes.

The answers may be interesting because many things in the program which are very advanced but some other things which we find fundamental have been put on the back burner. In my neck of the woods dovetail drawer joints and face frames are not thought off in mainstream kitchen manufacture. We make boxes which goes against many purists ideals but that's our market down under. What is more important for example is holes drilled for plastic feet, control of screw assembly of box not the special connectors (sorry Hafele) and the metal drawer systems with the drilling of drawer fronts for the fixing clips. There are some others but I wont get bogged down in that as it may seem I'm bashing Ecabinets. Will I use dovetail drawers and face frames in Australia I say no but I'm glad it does have it. I do have a personal project I may use it on.
My thoughts are Thermwood is going after international sales and that will benefit the local US sales due to product advancement. If your after this volume you are going to have to adapt Ecabinets to being all things to all people. Hopefully this not going against the forum rules so if it is delete this from your mind but Biesse have introduced design software which is something they vowed not to do. So a big thumbs up to Thermwood for doing it first. The software probably doesn't have face frames or dovetail drawers because it is focused on European construction. Its hard to imagine them doing a better job than Thermwood. Just get our international and US users wish lists and focus on the nuts and bolts for new features.
So back to watching if Larry Epplins post changes from 5.1 build to 5.2 today?
Thanks
Neville
Neville Australia
Ron Shultz

Post by Ron Shultz »

Any body seen Santa? Been looking under the tree every morning and never anything there! :D
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Ron Shultz wrote:Any body seen Santa? Been looking under the tree every morning and never anything there! :D
That tree has to be a fire hazard by now. :P
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Hey ,Mike I left my tree up till march but it was fake:) still no v 5.2 soon !
Brian
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Is version 6.0 still going to be written in "C"? Or is it going to be written in another language that will have pointers?(C++) This would speed things up considerable.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Leo Graywacz wrote:Is version 6.0 still going to be written in "C"? Or is it going to be written in another language that will have pointers?(C++) This would speed things up considerable.
C'mon Leo, C was the very first language to implement pointers (way back in 1972, about 2 years before I started writing code in C on a PDP-7). :wink:

int *abc is a pointer to the address of the variable abc rather than the data contained in the variable itself.

C++ is an object oriented implementation, or extension of, C since the original language elements are intact.

C++ is somewhat better than C when it comes to memory management (that's where you were headed isn't it?) although some of the issues we see may be caused more by HOOPS than by the language used for the application.