Synchronizing Files Between Systems

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dan Senkiewicz

Synchronizing Files Between Systems

Post by Dan Senkiewicz »

FYI - I did post this in another thread but if you don't catch it here is a good little program for synchronizing files between systems. It's called "GoodSync" and is working well to keep my laptop and two desktop systems in synch with client and eCab files. While Microsoft has offline folders, it still creates a confusing structure on each system by having your "My Documents" that is local and then the synch'd offline version of the other system. This program simply sorts out what the other doesn't have and replicated both ways (or one way if you choose). Their flagship program is called RoboForm which I've used for years to handle password management and encryption. Makes remembering all these logins a snap. Just thought I'd pass this along to the group knowing that many of us have desktops and laptops.

http://www.roboform.com/download.html
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Synchronizing Files Between Systems

Post by DanEpps »

Microsoft has a free tool called SyncToy that you can use to keep multiple systems synchronized.
Dan Senkiewicz

Post by Dan Senkiewicz »

Now that I've got Synch to work between my notebook & desktop with "My Documents" and eCabinets I realize I need to individually pick my folders. I seemed to migrate my key to this computer accidentally. Any suggestions on the "Must-Do" folders and files with eCab?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

The easiest method is to use eCabinets backup/restore. Copy the entire eCabinets backup directory to the receiving computer and restore it from there. This will get everything needed to make the receiving computer synchronized with the sending computer--cabinets, assemblies, jobs, materials, etc.

One word of caution though...any files of the same name on the receiving computer will be overwritten with the ones from the backup when you perform an eCabinets restore.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Dan, can the jump drives be used to backup to, then restore to other computers. If so, they are really convenient and inexpensive nowadays.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I would make the backup to hard disk then transfer it to a jump drive. That gives you a copy in case you lose or damage the jump drive.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Right, I have a slave drive I back up to, but it's always such a pain when I try to restore from the network. Don't know why that is, I always put a copy of the backup to the desktop on my desktop computer, then try to restore to my laptop and it never seems to work like it should. Thanks.