Lazy Susan Door Hinges

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Lazy Susan Door Hinges

Post by tim lucas »

When I add a Lazy Susan or Double door no hinges are with it in the cost sheet. How can I add the hinges so they can be ordered ?

Thanks
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Lazy Susan Door Hinges

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tim,

Open your cabinet in the cabinet editor then click on the Add Item/Cabinet Defaults icon right next to Construction Settings.
Click on Go to Cabinet Defaults
From here you can add all the default hardware and moldings you want associated with this cabinet.
Choose the default hinge and mounting plate.
This will add the first set of hinges you need to mount the first door to the cabinet.
For the other hinges in a Pie Cut door click on the back button and then click on Go to cabinet Items.
Choose click here to add item then find the other hinges and mounts you will need and add them to this cabinet.
You can also add the lazy susan and everything a cabinet needs down to shelf pins
Save the cabinet and now when you place this cabinet everything will be in the cost sheet and buy list.
It is best to do this on your cabinet at the Seed Cabinet level so that every library or custom cabinet you build from that seed will have the hardware.

Kerry
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

For what it's worth, there is an issue with the software in getting it to place holes for hinge plates, for the typical corner basecab done for a susan.

I had to use the part editor to place holes in the cabinet sides.

Kerry, how can we edit (change) or delete items added using "cabinet items?" I cannot see a way. I inadvertantly put Salice hinges and plates in when testing the way to insert pie hinges, and now cannot delete them. I want to change them to Blum items.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,

Just open the cabinet in the cabinet editor, click on Add Item/Cabinet Defaults
Click on Go to Cabinet Items then click on Remove to the left of your item to remove the first hinge then Click Here to Add Item to add the new hinge.

Kerry
Attachments
gene_04.jpg
gene_04.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 10096 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks, Kerry, but as Steve Stills says in the famous Buffalo Springfield song, "Something's happenin' here. What it is, ain't exactly clear."

Here is what my dialog page looks like when I take the "Add Cabinet Items" branch. I did a check on my software issue, and got back, "you have the latest, no updates needed" message.

As you can see, I don't have any option for removing or editing something already added. What to do? What to do?
Add item cabinet defaults cabinet items.jpg
Add item cabinet defaults cabinet items.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 10068 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,

Your items that you are showing are Default Items not Added Items.
Go to Add Items/Cabinet Defaults and choose the Cabinet Default items. There you can Edit the default hinge and mount to reflect the new hinge you want.
Kerry
Attachments
gene_05.jpg
gene_05.jpg (222.07 KiB) Viewed 10044 times
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Kerry,

Thanks - Now I see it :shock: I am using Blum Clip 107 hinges and the ones I have used in the past dont require any mounting plates, would this be correct ? Also what hinge do you use for the two halves ? One more thing, when I add the old lazy susan she is not in the correct position in the cabinet, is she just real lazy or what :?:
Thank you for you guidance :D
Tim
www.TLCW.us
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tim,

I have been using the Blum 60 Degree Bi Fold Hinge. #BO79T8500.10.
I just looked for it in the member store and it showed a blank page so I don't know what is up with that.

As for the Lazy Susan, you have to manually position it in the cabinet by highlighting it and using the shift key and arrow keys to move it. You may have to adjust the Move Increment. I fins it easier to add the Lazy Susan in the cabinet editor and associate it to the cabinet. Remember adding the 3D image of a lazy Susan does not add the correct item to your buy list. You must add that using Add Item/Cabinet Defaults.

Kerry
tim lucas
Guru Member

Post by tim lucas »

Kerry

Thanks for the info and thanks for showing me the differance in the selected items - I am working on my first eCabinet kitchen and learning so much !! - I have read a lot of your post and that has helped. I also do not see where my counter top is priceing ? Where should I see that ?
Thanks again
Tim
www.TLCW.us
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

C'mon, Kerry, help me out.

The DEFAULT ITEMS list is set up for one type hinge only and one type hinge plate only. It's plain to see.

A lazy susan, as I build it, needs two hinge types, 170s and pies. You know that, and advised this way to associate hinges to the cab:

Open your cabinet in the cabinet editor then click on the Add Item/Cabinet Defaults icon right next to Construction Settings.
Click on Go to Cabinet Defaults
From here you can add all the default hardware and moldings you want associated with this cabinet.
Choose the default hinge and mounting plate.
This will add the first set of hinges you need to mount the first door to the cabinet.
For the other hinges in a Pie Cut door click on the back button and then click on Go to cabinet Items.
Choose click here to add item then find the other hinges and mounts you will need and add them to this cabinet.
You can also add the lazy susan and everything a cabinet needs down to shelf pins

It seemed to me as if you were clearly saying to put one hinge type in the DEFAULT ITEMS section, which for me is editable, and the second hinge type in the CABINET ITEMS section (not DEFAULT), which I have shown you is not editable for me.

What is going on here? Why is your software such that CABINET ITEMS are editable, and for mine, it ain't?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,
Pay close attention.

The hinge and mount you are showing in your picture are Cabinet Defaults. If they are correct leave them. If they are incorrect click on Edit in Cabinet Defaults and change them to the correct hinge and mount for your FIRST HINGE and MOUNT.
Exit Cabinet Defaults and in Define Defaults/Add Items (the icon next to construction Settings click on Go to Cabinet Items. This will show your Default Hinge and Plate.
Click on the red Click Here to Add Item link at the top of the Page
Now find your second hinge and add the amount you want associated to this cabinet
Repeat process for the mounting plates
Repeat the process for anything else you want to associate with this cabinet.
Save the cabinet when you are done
In your screenshot above you have not added any itmes to the cabinet other than defaults.
There are two tables on that screen One is titled Added Items and one is titled Cabinet Hardware.
Cabinet Hardware is your default items Added hardware is the added Items.
When you add an Item it will display in the top table and the word Remove will be nest to that Item.

Kerry
Attachments
gene_06.jpg
gene_06.jpg (127.88 KiB) Viewed 9967 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Kerry, how do you clear (DELETE) items you have entered as added hardware?

Also, how does one enter pie hinges as added hardware items, if they are not in the selection? Do you see pie (bifold) hinges anywhere in the Blum lineup? I don't.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,

If you have entered Added Hardware Which you haven't in your screen shot above, it will have the Red REMOVE link as it does in my screen shot directly above. You click on remove and the hardware is deleted. You have to Add Hardware via Define Items/Cabinet Defaults using the Go to Cabinet Items Link. Not the Go to Cabinet Defaults Link.

In My post above to Tim I addressed the fact that the hinges were not showing up on the Member Store.
I have been using the Blum 60 Degree Bi Fold Hinge. #BO79T8500.10.
I just looked for it in the member store and it showed a blank page so I don't know what is up with that.
You should contact Eric shearn at Thermwood and ask him to add the hinges and mounting plates that you want to use if they are not in the system. He will most likely be able to accommodate you.

I think this will be a problem until version 6 when the software will use the member store to associate items. For now you will just have to punt.

Kerry
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

OK, Kerry, I have fooled around with it and now "get" it.

It is all kind of cryptic, but so is a lot of other software I use, I guess.

Doing the DEFINE DEFAULTS / ADD ITEMS buttom from the main screen of the cab editor, gives the user two choices.

One choice, . . . CABINET ITEMS, take the user to a dialog screen in which he can view the items he has added and associated with the cabinet, and these items are NOT those that ARE ASSOCIATED WITH AND CREATE GEOMETRY FOR the cabinet.

Upon selecting the CABINET ITEMS route, a screen is opened for the user which presents a dialog in which he can ADD items to the cabinet, and quantities for each added item, or REMOVE items previously added. This is where one would add the pie hinges, if they were available. That they are not is another issue entirely.

You cannot associate hardware hole patterns with hardware items added this way.

The thing that was confusing me in going that route with the software, is that it was also showing me, in a lower box on the same screen, hardware items and quantities for each, all called out under the box heading CABINET HARDWARE.

CABINET HARDWARE is "built" into the cab with the DOOR AND DRAWER and DRAWERBOX editors one level down from the main cab editor. With DOORS go hinges and mounting plates, and with DRAWERS and DRAWERBOXES go slides. One can associate hardware hole patterns with those hardware items, and thus associating them with the cab build also creates hole geometry.

If the user comes to this whole thing after having "built" the cabinet, and during the build, having associated hardware such as hinges, plates, and slides to the various features of the cab, doing settings in the various sub-editors, then one sees these items and their quantities there in that CABINET HARDWARE box. The hardware cannot be edited from this location.

It CAN be edited by taking the other route, that labeled GO TO CABINET DEFAULTS, seen earlier as a selection.

Bringing up CABINET DEFAULTS is the means of EDITING (changing) or CLEARING (deleting) the hardware items that were associated with the cab in the sub-editors for doors, drawers, and drawerboxes.

But, all that said, I still have a problem with the software, and if you cannot address it, I'll need to take it to Thermwood as a bug to be fixed. It relates strictly to a corner cab such as a two-door susan base or a two-door wall corner.

There is simply no way to specify the handing of the pair of doors, when they are to be hinged with a 170 and pie arrangement, nor is there a way to get the hardware holes right on the cab sides for the plates, and finally, there is no way to get the hinges specified right so there are two 170s and two pies.

So there. The originator of this thread was right. There is a problem with the software, and there ain't no workaround.

I am probably presenting this whole shebang to the wrong guy, but since you have responded so far, . . . . . here ya go!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,
No the Blum pie cut 60 degree hinges are not in the system anymore. They used to be. That is most likely problem with the Blum Vendor. As I said contact Eric Shearn and ask him to add the hinge and mount that you want to the system. If he can do it they might make it for the next update.

There is a problem with associating hardware holes to the pie cut cabinets. (the hardware holes float in space) I think the eCab guys know about it but it wouldn't hurt to mention it through Feedback. Until that is fixed the handing is a moot point.

As for Tim, the original poster, if he doesn't want to use Blum, there are Grass pie cut hinges available through the system for example and he can Add those as cabinet items and have all four hinges and all four mounts show up in his job costing and buy list which is what he wanted. If he wants Blum Pie cut hinges he will have to wait along with the rest of us.

Kerry