Round Meddalion with profiled edges

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Round Meddalion with profiled edges

Post by Will Williamson »

I have been trying for most of a week to create a 33" round medalion with profiled edges for a couple of days I was making the part using a combination of three tool profiles one on the outside edge one on the inside edge and another to create a recessed area between the two, This method worked in part editor but when I sent to profile modeler only two of the three regions would profile . Today I have used one large profile pattern to create part but it will not work in my profile modeler at all . Can someone try this part in their profile modeler ? Maybe I'm asking too much from the software or profile modeler .
Well as I sat here waiting for this file to preview and upload I had another Idea to create more regions and instead of one large one Thanks Will
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: Round Meddalion with profiled edges

Post by Nick M Singer »

Strange that you bring this up now, we have had this kind of problem refered to Thermwood for several months and have had no joy. We too tried to run something with a moulding on an arc and the machine hung . Are you running metric or Yank Imperial? This along with a problem with machining letters has caused us some major embarrassment, especially as we had been boasting about the capabilities of our Thermwood. Now that we throw something at it slightly challenging it falls over.
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Will
What tools are you trying to use to machine this part?
Justin Melhiser

Will

I would also like your other tool file, the .x_t, so I can look at this tool and the way it was drawn up.
Justin Melhiser

Will
I sent you an email explaining a few things, please respond at your convenience and we will get this worked out.
Will Williamson
Guru Member

Thank Justin I finally resolved my problem it had to do with me exporting my dxf file as a polyline as a result it created a file that was 5 times larger than the one you created and it made the profile modeler choke as well as e cab

Nick I think I have been reading your post on dxf files recently stating that all dxf files are not equal maybe this has something to do with your problem as well .Once Justin sent me his tol file it was obvious that I was doing something wrong his tol file was only 22kb compared to mine at 196kb his file
Once I exported my dxf as lines and arcs it worked fine
Also instead of going to the profile modeler first after many attempts I went straight to control nesting and it wrote the cnc file imediately with no hesitation at all
Will

Will Williamson
Guru Member

Nick if you send me one of your files I will take a look at it. I have spent five days straight on this problem I know what i am looking for now
Will

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Will, Thanks for your offer. I will try to put our file to Control nesting first, The item we are talking about with the arc is created with eCabs not as a DXF. I generally create all my curves as arcs CAD and I "explode" all letters. As you can see from my post regarding DXFs the problem is random but all the letters were created the same way and are all on the same layer. Todd has sent me some stuff to try if that does not work I will send you a file to look at. Once again are you working Imperial or Metric?
Will Williamson
Guru Member

Imperial I sent you an email yesterday talking about it
Will

Nick M Singer
Guru Member