Shelf moving:

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Andrew Gloster

Shelf moving:

Post by Andrew Gloster »

hello everyone,
i am new to the program, getting on fairly well but this one thing is really getting to me. i have a single wardrobe with one shelf in it, this shelf has to hold the same distance from the top when altering the length of the cabinet, i want a measurement of 379mm from the top to the shelf and when changing the length i want this to stay the same. hope someone can help me out, thanks
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Shelf moving:

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Andrew,

The only way I know to do this is to use a front-back stretcher the size of your shelf instead of the shelf. You can constrain the dimensions of the opening this way. You will not be able to show edge banding on this part though. Otherwise you will have to adjust your opening dimension every time you change height of your cabinet to get the fixed shelf positioned correctly.

Kerry
Andrew Gloster

Post by Andrew Gloster »

ye thats right, i know i can do a stretcher but without the edge banding, maybe this is the best way. i just wondered if you could do this with a shelf but it doesnt look like it. thanks anyway
Andrew Gloster

Post by Andrew Gloster »

What would you think is the best way to do this? could it be added to the wish list as personally think that any part that cab be cut within a cabinet should have the ability to have edge banding on and so on
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Andrew,

Many have been wishing for the ability to edge band stretchers since stretchers were introduced. I think this is probably on the eCab to-do list. It still won't hurt for you to suggest this through the Communications/Feedback menu in the software. This goes directly to the programmers. The more people that request it this way, the better the chances of it getting implemented.

Foe now I would use the stretcher and re-name the part for your fixed shelf. This gets the job done except for the edge banding. You could name the part "Shelf gets Edge" so the shop floor will know what to do.

Kerry
Andrew Gloster

Post by Andrew Gloster »

thankyou very much for your help, i will prob just use the stretcher and name the edge banding, thanks anyway
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Or something better could be the option to lock top opening distance or bottom opening distance in the shelf editor.....
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Here's an out of the square solution that only works as long as you don't need to reference the position of the fixed shelf to other items.
Place a fixed shelf selecting Butt join, this will then put no holes in the carcase. Then with the part editor place your holes in the respective parts ( left and right ends, back etc ) and then constrain them to be the set distance from the top, bottom ( where ever you need them constrained by.)
When the cabinet gets streatched the fixed shelf will move inside the cabinet but the locating holes won't. You can also trence a dado if you like instead of holes. Every part gets cut correctly and can be asembled.
This message made from recycled electrons.