"User Part Name" + " MDF Slab front" ?'s

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

"User Part Name" + " MDF Slab front" ?'s

Post by TonyGiunta »

I have a few questions I am hoping to get some help with.

I am using the Change User Part Name function for the first time. My goal would be to want the new part name to appear on a cut list and also the nested sheet page as well. I highlight a part (Left End) while in cabinet editor and right click. I choose a new name for the part and hit OK. I bring my mouse pointer over the part and see that the New User Part Name has been inputed. I go and save the cabinet thinking that when I reload the cabinet the New Part Name will be there, but it's not, just default Left End. Why is that? Can the part names be changed and end up on a cutlist to export to Excel and also on Nested diagrams?

Also I have a design that requires MDF slab (no edgebanding) door and drawer front that will have geometric and profile cuts on it as the finish will be a painted one. When I choose MDF fronts it will not alow going to the parts editor. And if I choose Slab type, which will go to the parts editor, then it has to have edgebanding. Am I missing something or is it not possible to choose a "slab mdf type" front that has no edgebanding and can go to the parts editor? Right now my work around is to create display panels for fronts but then I am deprived of all the software benefits of a "normal" door/drawer front.

Thanks for some help.
Justin Melhiser

Re: "User Part Name" + " MDF Slab front" ?'s

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Tony
The user part name will stay with the cabinet part and be listed on the cabinet part display once the cabinet is saved. It will also show up in the cut list as well as exported to Excel. To get this to work you click on the left end, then right click and go to user part name. Enter in your new user part name and press ok. Now you will want to save this cabinet. If you hold your mouse over the left end, it will display the new user part name. Now close this cabinet out and start over. Load your cabinet that you just saved. When you hold the mouse over the left end it should display your user part name. Now with this cabinet loaded up click on the create cut list icon. With this window open scroll down to where you see sheet component listing. You should see the LEFTEND (USER PART NAME). When you export to Excel, if you click on the sheet component listing you will see the same thing. If you take this cabinet to the nest diagrams and perform nest, double click on the sheet and this will show you all the parts of this sheet and list them by the number, cabinet name, cabinet number, and cabinet part. Under the cabinet part you should see the user part name. When you select slab fronts it gives you the option to select edge banding. Create an edge banding with a "0" thickness. This will allow you to take the part to the part editor and your edge banding will not show up.

If you have any questions feel free to call me or email me.
TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

Re: "User Part Name" + " MDF Slab front" ?'s

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks Justin,

I did not realize that I was resaving the cabinet (which was really an assembly) as a cabinet instead of assembly. That's why when I reloaded the assembly nothing had changed. Got it now

I will try the 0 thickness edgebanding, that seems like it will work.