slow processing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Lee Gernandt

slow processing

Post by Lee Gernandt »

I've noticed that the more I am doing, the slower response time I'm getting. Not just in a file with lots of details, but just in e-cabs in general.The worst is dimensioning in the LDE. It takes several seconds now to get responses, when it used to happen immediately. Any tips or advice would be welcomed.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: slow processing

Post by Peter Walsh »

Lee,
Those of us who do not own "screamer" PC's with 50 gigallion zoom thrusters have been dogged by this problem. One of the techniques I have used in the Line Drawing Editor (LDE) that helps me a lot, is when I am dimensioning a cabinet I go up to the top menu bar and select "Rm" instead of "Cab". This seems to relieve the software of standing by to rotate the cabinet, etc. and let the line drawing proceed much faster. This seems to be more pertinent when several cabs are in the room.
Give it a try.
regards,
Lee Gernandt

Post by Lee Gernandt »

Okay, it's getting worse. I find that I have to do several restarts a day. This only happens when I have Ecab open, and it delays everything. If I don't open Ecab, any other program works fine. Is there something I'm doing wrong?I've tried smacking the tower, but no matter how old school you are, it doesn't help. Any advice would be great.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Lee,
There have been many postings about "tweaking" your machine for eCab. Most of these have been posted by Dan Epps. If you do a search for all his postings, you will see several titles that may help quite a bit. In the alternative, send Dan an e-mail.
regards,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Lee,

You will most likely need to post the specs of the computer you are using.
Processor
Ram
Graphics card and it's on-board memory.

Kerry
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Lee,
I see you mention that the response keep getting worse when you are in the LDE. The LDE is a BIG hogger of resources. Try and keep the drawings to a minimum. One thing that you could do is to print the LDE drawings to a PDF writer and save these. Then delete the drawings in e-cabs.
HTH
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Lee Gernandt

Post by Lee Gernandt »

I have a dell Dimesion DXP051 Intel Pentium CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram. I don't have a clue what all that means. I do have alot of drawings in the LDE, how do I go about getting them to a PDF? Thanks for the help so far, guys.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Lee,
Notwithstanding any suggestions Dan Epps may make about "tweaking" your machine, I discover that having a lot of drawings on a job project really, really raises the file size for the job and makes lots of things slow. My practice is to make my drawings, print them out and to delete them. Later, you can always bring up a cabinet and check dimensions in a few minutes if need be. My machine is significantly less powered than yours and I get along just fine with these simple housekeeping measures.
regards,
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Peter just keeps trying to get me into this. :lol:

One thing to note is that your system has an integrated graphics board that has no memory of its own. This means that it uses system RAM for graphics processing.

The more drawing pages you have, the more memory needed to process the graphics. This all adds up to a much slower system with numerous drawings.

I learned long ago, as Peter did, to keep the number of drawings to a minimum. I have a 3.4GHz Dell Precision Workstation with 2GB RAM and a 128MB nVidia Quadro graphics card that still gets bogged down with more than 2 or 3 pages of drawings.

Something else you might want to do is to check out the Setting Virtual Memory thread in the eCabWorld Tips & Tricks forum. Making sure virtual memory is set properly will help speed up your system tremendously.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Dan,
Well, (chuckle) I did get you involved didn't I?
Just for the record.......
I am running a Dell 1Ghz with 512Mb Ram (Windows XP) and a Nvidia GeForce 256 Graphics card and I am able to get all my work done very nicely, thank you.
Damned if I know why.
regards,
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Peter Walsh wrote:Dan,
Well, (chuckle) I did get you involved didn't I?
Just for the record.......
I am running a Dell 1Ghz with 512Mb Ram (Windows XP) and a Nvidia GeForce 256 Graphics card and I am able to get all my work done very nicely, thank you.
Damned if I know why.
regards,
I watched a show about time and relativity on TV one night. They conducted a study that proved that as you age your internal clock runs slower, causing you to perceive that time is passing faster than it is... :roll: :joker:

Probably one thing that help is the 256MB RAM on the video card. I'm not sure if that is a full 256MB dedicated RAM or 128MB onboard and up to 128MB shared system memory.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Lee,
To get your drawings into a PDF you can install any of a number of free PDF writers. They install as printers, and then you select them as your printer from your drop-down list of printers. This should then open a 'save as' dialogoue where you may specify a filename. Just remember where you save them so that it could be printed out later. You also need to install Acrobat reader (free) to be able to open them and print later.
The one I use (printer) is PrimoPDF (I do not have the link to it, but I know Dan posted one not too long ago)
HTH
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Lee Gernandt

Post by Lee Gernandt »

OK, I downloaded a pdf writer and transfered all my line drawings to that. Things speeded up alot, now. Thanks for the suggestions. One question, though. Can I send those drawings back to the line drawing editor from adobe, or not?