Creating a Circular Display Cube

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Pat McFadden

Creating a Circular Display Cube

Post by Pat McFadden »

I'm trying to create a circular display cube. It will become a frameless mirror. I tried taking a square, 1/4 inch thick cube into the Part Editor and cutting a circular geometry out of it, but how do I get it to keep the circle, not the rectangle with a circular cutout?

Thanks,
Pat
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re: Creating a Circular Display Cube

Post by Mike Seisser »

Pat,

The most efficient way I know is to create 2 circles, use the larger circle to 'Create Part Using Closed Contour', then the smaller circle to 'Cut/Pocket Using Closed Contour'.

HTH

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

I am tearing my hair out trying to learn this.

I created a display cube 800mm x 800mm x 6mm thick. Took it into the part editor. Drew a large circle on it with the circle completely inside my square.

Selected the circle, then right clicked to be able to select "create part using closed contour." Selected that option.

Nothing happens. I take the part back into the cab editor and see the same big flat square panel I started with.

I can cut a circular hole through this cube, but cannot make a circular panel out of it.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Once you're in Part Editor click on the Contour Mode icon. Use the circle tool there to make an outline of a circle. Exit contour mode, Right click, choose "Create Part Using Closed Contour", select the circle, then click 'Next' at the bottom of the screen.

Sorry for the confusion, I kinda left out the Contour Mode step in my above post.

HTH

Mike

Also, to the OP, I misread your original request, thinking you wanted to make a mirror frame.
Pat McFadden

Post by Pat McFadden »

Thanks, Mike.
I was able to do it without creating 2 circles. Just drew one in Contour mode on top of my rectangular part, returned to part editor and clicked Create Part Using Closed Contour. I guess Create is the opposite of Cut as far as determining which element of the part is kept?

Cheers,
Pat
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Pat McFadden wrote:Thanks, Mike.
I was able to do it without creating 2 circles. Just drew one in Contour mode on top of my rectangular part, returned to part editor and clicked Create Part Using Closed Contour. I guess Create is the opposite of Cut as far as determining which element of the part is kept?

Cheers,
Pat

Pat,

Yes, that's exactly it.

Again, I mis-read your original post when I suggested 2 circles, because I thought you were making a frame like this:
Circle.jpg
Circle.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 4838 times