Software change request: "globalize" hardware

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Software change request: "globalize" hardware

Post by Gene Davis »

The current build permits some settings to be done more or less "globally."

1. If using the "build rooms for rendering" way to construct a job, the user can do a "select all cabs" and then change doors, drawerfronts, drawerboxes, and sheet goods material settings. I have little familiarity with this, because I use only the BATCH function for job creation.

2. In the BATCH mode for job building, the user can use an editor to change settings for sheet goods identification and thickness, for either selected cabs in the batch, or for the entire batch. I am indirectly familiar with this, in that my production share cutter uses this to "fine tune" things at job cutting time, based on thickness readings taken from stock samples using a digital caliper. If a batch, for example, has a lot of plywood parts with a "design" thickness of 0.720", and the sheet stock is reset to 0.707" based on a sampling of stock at cutting time, that 0.013" change rolls all the way through the batch in a cab by cab, part by part regeneration.

I think eCabs users would be well-served if all the aspects of drawerslide and door hinge hardware were addressed globally, and by that I mean that settings, and the ability to change them with edits, should be able to take place at the ROOM JOB, BATCH JOB, and SEED CAB LIBRARY levels.

Since with drawerslides, the calling out of a specific slide can effect the drawerbox design parameters, the linkage to a specific drawerbox design needs to be a part of this global hardware callout. The example I can cite is that undermount slides require a specified bottom inset, whereas sidemount slides do not.

A specific drawerslide has the following (may not be all inclusive) parameters associated with it: d'box bottom inset, d'box side insets, d'box top min clear, d'slide hole pattern, d'slide hole pattern centerline up from d'box bottom, etc.

Hinging of doors carries with it fewer parameters, but the callout for a specific hinge/plate combo should have associated with it: hole pattern, centering up from bottom of door, centering down from top of door, and the parameters that call out for more hinges than two on a door. I already filed a request for a way to do up to five (5) hinges for doors.

Notice that in the paragraph above, I used the language "hinge/plate combo". Today we can associate a hinge with a cabinet, and a hinge plate with a cabinet. I don't believe we can associate unique combinations of hinges and plates to specific doors in cabinets. In a separate post requesting a software change, I will say why we need the ability to make this callout of hinge-and-plate combos to specific doors in cabs. Such editing is done at the cab level, not globally.
Michael Rodgers

Re: Software change request: "globalize" hardware

Post by Michael Rodgers »

This is what I was looking for in an earlier post. Just to give some things a parameter, doors, hardware, drawer fronts and boxes, maybe even material. It would make setting up the program easier and not having to make sure so many seed cabinets are correct. I know that with the production sharing parameters are not great but just a few items would not be to bad I don't think.