rounded front edge on shelf

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

michael taylor

rounded front edge on shelf

Post by michael taylor »

I cant figure out how to make the front of a shelf rounded. It has to be something easy. thanks.
Gene Davis

Re: rounded front edge on shelf

Post by Gene Davis »

You'll need to get up to speed on the part editor, and within that, the profile edge command, then the use of the tool directory, and finally, the use of the selected tool.

Have you tried this?
michael taylor

Post by michael taylor »

i tried lots of stuff in the part editor haha. i will keep looking. you know i made up some different tools and tried to cut right through it but it kept saying it couldnt be done so i will try something else. thanks
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

michael taylor wrote:I cant figure out how to make the front of a shelf rounded. It has to be something easy. thanks.

Which way are you 'rounding' them?
Rounded Shelves.jpg
Rounded Shelves.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
The top and bottom shelf have a tool applied to the front edge, the middle shelf has the front part 'cut away' to leave the rounding. All done in Part Editor.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
michael taylor

Post by michael taylor »

the middle shelf is the way i need help with. i know how to use the tools to profile edges but for some odd reason i cant cut away the shelf to form the arch like you show for the middle shelf. do you use the three point arch?
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

michael taylor wrote:the middle shelf is the way i need help with. i know how to use the tools to profile edges but for some odd reason i cant cut away the shelf to form the arch like you show for the middle shelf. do you use the three point arch?

Yes, but not the one in the main Part Editor screen.

Bring your shelf into the Part Editor.
Click on the funky lookin' crosshair kinda tool (farthest icon to the right in the tool bar). That puts you into Contour Mode.
Inside Contour Mode are the same tools you would use to create a .tol or tool file. If you've already done this, the rest should be a breeze.
Even if you haven't, it's as easy as: selecting the 3-point arc tool and drawing your arc. PLUS, you have to draw your straight lines to form the rest of the piece.
All these end points must meet, in order for the contour to be considered closed. If they overlap, you can use the 'Trim' tool in contour mode to cut them off where they intersect.
After you've created the shape you want, exit Contour Mode.
Once back in the main Part Editor screen, right click, choose 'Create Part Using Closed Contour'
Highlight the shape you created, select 'Next' from the bottom of the screen, wait a second or 2 and voila!
The result you see should match what you created.

HTH

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
michael taylor

Post by michael taylor »

thank you tons for the help. i will try that right away and get back to you. mike
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you need to do this to multiple parts, save your geometry while still in Contour Mode and you can apply it to the remaining parts by clicking the Load icon (the folder in Contour Mode).