display panel placement

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

matt omeara

display panel placement

Post by matt omeara »

Newbie question here.

I'm trying to use Display Panel to represent refer panels and dishwasher panels in a project. I figured out how to locate the panels in a Custom Layout in the X direction (left and right along the wall) as well as in the Z direction (elevation), but I can't figure out how to locate the panels in the Y direction (depth). When I'm in plan view, I can select a Panel and move it by increments in the Y direction, but the position values are grayed out so that I can't modify them like I can when I'm in the Elevation view and the position values for X and Z are modifiable. I guess I don't understand why the position values in the overhead view are grayed out.
matt omeara

Re: display panel placement

Post by matt omeara »

I guess the first question I should have asked is: what technique do people use to create an appliance that has panels? Do you place an appliance and then locate display panels on the face of the appliance? Do you just locate display panels out in space? Or something else?
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Matt, if you associate the display panel to a wall and then view it in the elevation view you should be able to move it the same way you would a cabinet. Hope this helps. 8)
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Mark,
matt omeara wrote:I guess the first question I should have asked is: what technique do people use to create an appliance that has panels? Do you place an appliance and then locate display panels on the face of the appliance? Do you just locate display panels out in space? Or something else?
This is the method I use. Add your panel while you're in Elevation view, and it will automatically be associated to the wall. Then use a combination of both Overhead and Elevation view to fine tune the placement. (Tip: for height, use the input boxes on the left side of the screen to enter dimensions) Zoom in and out, fine tuning each alignment until you're satisfied.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
matt omeara

Post by matt omeara »

I must be missing something basic here. In Overhead view I installed a display panel. Then I double clicked on the panel to select it. Then I right click on the wall and select Associate to Wall. But the position values for the panel are grayed out. In fact, when I double click on ANY item in Overhead view, the position values are grayed out. But when I switch to Elevation view, the position values become active. This allows me to position items in Elevation view left/right and up/down, but I can't control depth relative to the wall.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Matt,

Hold down the control key, and left click/drag the panel into place while in overhead view. To zoom in, hold down the control key, and click/drag to draw a bounding box around the area you want to zoom in on.

Mike
matt omeara

Post by matt omeara »

Mike, a couple things: First of all, it's Shift + right click to drag an item - not control + left click. Secondly, this doesn't answer the question I asked.

When I select an item in Overhead View, the position values on the left side of the screen are present but grayed out. By "grayed out", I mean that they are visible but the background color is gray, not white, indicating that the values can be viewed but not changed. So I can move an item by increments and see the position values changing, but I can't set them to exactly the value I want. Is this a bug? Or is there a reason that I can't set them to exactly the value I want?
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Matt,

Yeah, that's what I meant. Shift/Right Click. Sorry about that. :mrgreen:

I'm not certain why those boxes aren't available for input in overhead view. It should work while in elevation view. However, there is a workaround if you absolutely need to work in absolutes. All you need is a wall built perpendicular to the wall you are working on. Associate your panel to THAT wall, then in the elevation view of your perpendicular wall, use your input boxes to move it on the x axis (which will be the axis you're trying to move it on on the original wall).

Clear as mud?

Mike
matt omeara

Post by matt omeara »

Thanks Mike. I currently use several SW applications that are for niche markets, so I'm quite used to dealing with work-arounds.

Another possible solution is to set my move increment to a very small value in order to get it within a hair of where I want it.
Mark Fese

Post by Mark Fese »

The way I do it is simply highlite the cabinet or the assembly right click to edit cab or assembly then choose Item, display panels create your panel then add it to the cabinet using align items create your door margin and return to room, This would apply only if you have a cabinet to the left or right of your appliance opening. Seems to work good for me, Mark. Outlaw Carpenters 2009