drawer front and door question

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

dale swingle

drawer front and door question

Post by dale swingle »

Need a little help here, new to this program. I am trying to create a drawer front and door for presentation. Drawer front is kerei, slab with grain running vertically. I found the zebrawood image and this will work if I can get it to display. I'm also wondering if I can create a door with kerei recessed panel and walnut frame with 2 1/4" and 3" rails. Thanks.
Justin Melhiser

Re: drawer front and door question

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Dale
When you add a door or drawer to a cabinet, when the settings screen pops up, there is a slab grain direction. Change this to 90 and it will rotate your grain for the doors and drawers. As for changing the center panels of a door, there is not a way of doing so. You could create a door out of display parts and then make your center panel a different material. I will check with the programmers just to make sure.
dale swingle

Post by dale swingle »

Thanks, Justin. I don't know how I overlooked the grain indicator, I was pretty sure there had to be one just didn't see it. I figured if I really wanted to show those inset doors I could build each one as an assembly but that seemed like a whole lot of work. Thanks again.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You can easily make you doors with different materials for the frame members and panel--just create a face frame cabinet and make the face frames from the rail/stile material. Make the back panel from the door panel material, change the cabinet depth to the face frame thickness and remove the top, ends, deck and toe kick.

You can profile the inner edges of the face frame members and the perimeter of the back panel to create a raised panel effect.
door.jpg
door.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
dale swingle

Post by dale swingle »

Thanks Dan,

That was the approach I finally took. It worked well. Presentation turned out real nice, once I master the lighting technique they should be even better.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Using the face frame concept, you could use a MDF door with a wood grain texture. Install the door as an inset door with the desired raise or edge profile. Typicially, the door would be inset 3/4" for a 3/4" thick door, but you would inset this further, for example, 1", then you'd have 1/4" of the stile/rail inside edge exposed. Then instead of using a positive gap for the door, use a negative door gap for the panel inset.

This door/face frame combination should be resizable.
DarrelMWood

Post by DarrelMWood »

I've done this by having my doors "frame" doors with no glass panel. I then create a display cube a little larger than the inset panel will be (but the same thickness---usually 1/8" or 1/4" thick) and recess it slightly behind the face of the door. The problem is the inset panel doesn't resize with the doors if you resize the cabinet.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Here's an example of a resizeable door, made from cabinet components.
Reverse engineer the settings if you need to change rail & stile widths, and use your own materials as desired.
Resizeable Flat Panel Door.jpg
Resizeable Flat Panel Door.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Resizeable Flat Panel Door.hsf
(586.02 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
You would still have to add this to an assembly and then manually align it, but all of it's components show up on the cutlist.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.