Ambassadors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Would an ambassador program be helpful to new users/owners?

Yes, it would be helpful to new users/owners.
57%
Yes, I would volunteer to be an ambassador.
43%
No, it wouldn't be helpful to new users/owners.
No votes
No, I wouldn't volunteer to be an ambassador.
No votes

Total votes: 23

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Ambassadors

Post by DanEpps »

Hello everyone

As everyone active in these forums knows, for every member that actually uses the forums to ask questions there are scores of eCabinets users that don't.

The reasons are many but chief among them are fear of asking a "dumb question." Here is an excerpt of a private message I received this morning:
I'm a new user to eCabs software and having a few problems with software concepts....or rather execution. Is it appropriate to ask questions to the forum members about how to use certain software features or to ask how to build certain components?
This user was having problems and was unsure whether this sort of question should be posted in the forums. I replied with a resounding "Yes!" and an answer to the poster's question about eCabinets.

Here is where I am headed with this:

I propose that Thermwood create an "Ambassador" program made up of volunteers from the eCabinets and Thermwood communities. Each new user of eCabinets or purchaser of a Thermwood CNC would be assigned an ambassador from this pool. The ambassador would make contact with the new user/owner and help them along by answering any immediate questions they might have and encouraging them to join and participate in the forums.

Please pick two answers from the list and feel free to add your comments to the thread.
Dennis G. Blackburn

Re: Ambassadors

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

Dan,

As a Dealer for Thermwood I am more than enthusiastic to help new members in OUR area with the software. (Florida, Georgia, Alabama) I am very willing to VISIT a new member and help them get going with the eCabinetsystems software. I only ask that they have the software and have it loaded and working before I make a trip. (It's also great if they will shut off the phones and interuptions during my visit) I can also answer questions about CNC machinery, show samples of cabinet construction, doors, carvings moldings, etc. I call this visit a "kickstart" and and will gladly spend 2 to 4 hours showing the basics of the eCabinetsystems program. There is no charge for this service but of course with today's travel expenses, I try to schedule several in an area to help justify the trip. I DO NOT do phone support since Thermwood already has a great program in place for that. Many members tell me that after my visit they are "off and running" with the software needing little further support while others see the power of the software and sign up for a training class at Thermwood or one of the woodshows.

I would hope that yourself and other "ambassadors" will recognize these kickstarts as another way that new members can be more successful. SEND THEM MY WAY! 8) I really enjoy getting out and meeting members and seeing their shops.

Dennis G. Blackburn
Authorized Thermwood Dealer (FL,GA,AL)
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Thanks Dan
I for one think that in effect there is already an ambassador program in place for the ones who join this forum and participate .There is at least a dozen ambassadors on this forum on a regular basis and you know who you are . I thank all of you . The ambassodor program could be a way to get more new members involved . Once they get their feet wet so to speak they mite feel better about asking question on the forum. The only dumb question is the one that goes unask and you set there at your computer for hours beating your self up for being so dumb because you can't figure it out on your own. I know what I'm talking about because I sat here with my e cabinets for two years before I finally got involved with this forum and started asking dumb questions. I hope one day to be able to repay my debt of knowledge
Thank you all
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That is exactly what I was getting at Will.

I know Dennis Blackburn personally and can certainly vouch for his willingness to help users in his sales region. If I were to send Dennis an email or call him and ask him to come up to help me, he would drive from Florida to north Georgia just to do that. I'm sure other dealers work in similar ways also but the fact remains, for every forum user there are scores of eCabinets users and machine owners. If we wait for those users to come to the forum on their own, we may never see them.

As you said, there are a number of folks that regularly help out in the forum but who knows, there may be someone out there that make Kerry's presentations look like those of an ameteur (I really doubt that, but who knows?). I am certain there are many new users that simply throw in the towel and never use eCabinets because they don't understand the software. Likewise, I'm sure there are many users that are experts with eCabinets that we never hear from in the forum.

We need both types of users to participate in order to make the forum even better than it is. There are questions that haven't been asked and tips that haven't been shared.

When users register their software online, part of the registration process could be to allow them to opt-in for having an ambassador contact them. They could also be informed about the forum during registration as well.

Thermwood has given all of us a great piece of software and this is just one way we can help to make the whole eCabinets concept better.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Dan,
I think it will be a great idea. This I say with some reserve.
Obviously a lot more research and brain storming would have to go into this idea. We unfortunately do not live in a perfect world and the chance of someone that is 'appointed' as an ambassodor giving advice that is detrimental to the whole e-cab way of life and thinking is always there. It could discourage a timid new user into taking part in the forums and even e-cabs as a whole.
I know this might sound negative, but the ambassodor might have a bad hair day and then there goes the whole shebang.
I wish I had an ambassodor when I first started with e-cabs (Actually now that I think of it, I had more than one! The whole forum community!)
Hope your idea goes from strength to strength!
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

It looks like everyone who voted thinks this might be a viable way of helping new users/CNC owners to get the most from eCabinets or their machines and the forums.

Now its time to toss the ball into the Thermwood side of the court. What do you (Thermwood) think of this idea?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Bump to Thermwood...
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Will ambassadors get free routers?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Gene Davis wrote:Will ambassadors get free routers?
Don't we wish. :wink:
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi everyone,

Just to let everyone know that we have not been avoiding this posting as it brings up some good points, however, we see some potential issues with this approach. In a way, many of our members have already taken on the “ambassador” role in helping new and experienced members with problems on a daily basis, both on and off the forum, and we commend them for it. That’s what makes this such a great forum! A concern we have is that on average we sign up about 140 new members a week or, about 560 members a month. At this rate, it won’t take long for eCabinet System members to be overwhelmed from new members “expecting” help from an assigned ambassador. This could very rapidly take time away and negatively impact your cabinet business. We would not want or expect eCabinet System members to take on any effort that could hurt their business, even though this idea is a very good reflection of the attitude of the members on this forum. We will keep this in mind and will remain open to any additional thoughts or solutions that are brought up.

sincerely,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Wow! I had no idea you were signing up that many new users per month. At that rate we would have to have a whole bunch of ambassadors to welcome new members into the family.

I was just brainstorming on how we could get more members active in the forums and that was what popped into my head but with that many new users, it would indeed be very difficult to mannage.

I, for one, certainly don't mind if new users that aren't too sure about using the forums send me a PM or email with questions.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

This is a bit off topic but my wife ask me an eCabinets question that I couldn't answer.
She wanted to know how many members there are at present.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That's not really off topic...just tell her there are at least as many as there are people in Dalhart (how many folks live there anyway?). :wink:

I think a couple of years ago the number was somewhere around 20,000 or so.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dan,

The only time there were close to 20,00 living in Dalhart was during World War II because there were three air bases here. A bomber base a fighter base and a glider base. Prisoners were also held here on their way from one coast to the other.
When I was born there were between 6 and 7 thousand people here, 52 years later there are between 6 and 7 thousand people. For every person that moves in, one moves out.

With this kind of astronomical growth it has been hard for me to keep up with all the work. :wink:

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Growth like that is tough to manage. :lol:

When I was born, we had 6 or 7 thousand folks here too. Now, 54 years later we have close to 200,000!!!

I was in the Navy for 10 years and lived in Virginia for another three years after leaving the Navy. Every time I came back here I would get lost trying to find my way around with all the new roads and such.

The big shame is that in the process our beautiful little downtown died. Main street is about 4 blocks long and until the last couple of years has been nothing but a row of pawn shops. We are starting to see restaurants and boutique-style stores come back downtown now. Like most places, we have some beautiful old store buildings downtown and I'm happy to see a revitalization taking place.