Part editor: cannot cut in "tenon" area

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Part editor: cannot cut in "tenon" area

Post by Gene Davis »

In trying to notch upper back corners of a wallcab seed, I am having a problem. I want a set of cuts for doing Camar suspension fittings, sort of like what you can see here.
269.jpg
269.jpg (124.81 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
The back is 6mm material, and is captured all around in a 9.5mm depth full dado, with minimal bottom clearance. Thus the 6mm back has a "tenon" all the way around its perimeter.

I guess that is the way eCabs views it.

I took the back into the part editor, zipped into contour mode for drawing, drew a wild-sized rectangle larger than what I need, the rectangle hanging out past the part edge at top and side. Then snipped the inside corner with a 9.5mm radius fillet. See the pic for the result.
BackNotch.jpg
BackNotch.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
My intent was to then take the part to the constraint manager to size the notch down to what I need with an X and Y dimension. That is where the problem comes in.

The part, in the C.M. view, has a HOLE through in its upper corner, and not a notch as seen here. The "tenon" remains uncut. If I take it into a nest, I see the same result. A hole, not a notch as seen in the cabinet editor view above.

I tried applying ZERO dimension edits to the two 9.5mm dimensions that defined the offsets for the rectangular hole. No good.

What goes? What is the workaround?
Keith Beggarly

Re: Part editor: cannot cut in "tenon" area

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Gene,

I am not a guru, but I have tried this. See if it will help your problem. Use a blind tenon construction on the back.

-KB
[attachment=0]Construction Settings.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Notched back.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]Notched back exploded.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Construction Settings.jpg
Construction Settings.jpg (220.53 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Notched back.jpg
Notched back.jpg (23.33 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
Notched back exploded.jpg
Notched back exploded.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
Keith Beggarly

Re: Part editor: cannot cut in "tenon" area

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Gene,

I just found out that the negative tenon value creates a problem in the back panel when you resize the cabinet. Try using a value of zero; that seems to work.

-KB