door gaps

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Re: door gaps

Post by Gene Davis »

Unequal-width pairs of doors can be put onto a frameless cabinet by placing a partition where needed, thus dividing a single opening into two.

I've done this easy workaround by creating a sheet goods material named Do Not Cut, making it the thickness of the door-to-door center reveal, and a color that will stand out loud and clear in the model. My material is 3mm thickness, and black.

The Do Not Cut partition is placed where needed with the partition editor, creating the unequal L and R widths, then the door editor is used to place a LH door and RH door in each opening, left and right. Each door's open side reveal is 3mm.

Resizeable? That is too much to ask, probably.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Gene's solution is also an alternative and that is the way I used to do it. But the function already exist in the software to have unequal sized doors.
Glenn,
After placing your doors, single left click ONE of the doors and then go to construction settings. THEN make sure you change the
OPEN side reveal. Click on OK
Now left single click on the adjacent door. (It must have a green outline so that you know you selected it)
Do the same as the first one, except change your reveal to a negative number.
The first door will be the one that becomes smaller and the second one will 'expand'.
HTH
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

After posting and re-reading my post above, it sounded very blunt to me. I did not mean it that way.

Gene's solution is a very viable one and just once more goes to show that most of the time different solutions exist and you should choose one that suits your way of working/thinking the best.

Cheers :beer:
Paul Ellis

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Paul,

I am another who can't make your method work. Please post your cabinet so we can see the settings and maybe figure this out.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Same here...it just don't work for me.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Paul,
I forgot to mention, I can get different sized doors but they overlap. They don't fit the opening.

Kerry
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

All,

Paul's method seems to work on face frame cabinets but not frameless.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Ahh!

Now, what situation would cause the need for different width doors on the same cabinet without the use of a partition?
I can't think of a reason I would ever need to do this.

Kerry
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

There is another reason for using the "false" or "shadow" partition for managing a pair of doors in a single frameless opening. The pic here shows a 36-wide vanity, in which the LH door hangs to a single partion, and only overlays that partition 8.2mm. The RH door is hinged to the R side, and overlays that edge 17.8mm.

The "do not cut" partition is placed so that the doors are equal in size, but because each is separately placed, each can have its own and different hardware pack associated with it.

Thus, the LH door has a 6mm hinge plate, and the RH door has one at 0mm. These hinge plates yield the desired overlays.

A double door placed into a single opening can only have one hardware pack associated with it.
VanityPairDoors.jpg
VanityPairDoors.jpg (112.15 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

:oops: I feel like a fool!
I tried my method with a standard cabinet and got the same results as Dan and Kerry and whoever else tried it. The doors stayed equal widths and strayed over to the one side. Then I opened one of the cabinets that worked...mmmm and found the difference.
These were cabinets for database servers that had to be rack mounted. The standard door on these are too wide when opened and I had to design and build double doors made out of sheet metal with fans built into them. The only access that was needed was to change the backup media, so the client specified the difference in door width. (Kerry, this was only the second time I had to build doors with different widths) Ok NOW...these doors are inset into the cabinet by 20mm. Then the settings work.
Thats why it also works with face frames.
When designing the doors I saw the setting of 'reveal open end' and thought I would try it. Viola! it worked. I decided that if I get another request like that, this is the way to go.
I think the odd behaviour is a bug and I shall report it as such.
So, Gene, for frameless cabs the tried and tested method of inserting a divider is still the best way to go. (And of course the added benifit that you mentioned of being able to specify different hardware)

Hope this clears the mystery.
Paul Ellis