3d file converting

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nicholas Slovacek

3d file converting

Post by Nicholas Slovacek »

Just wondering if anybody has tried converting display objects from .3ds, .max, .dxf and other formats in Okino's Polytrans program into .hsf files for ecab. Is this even possible. There are a lot of good models out there that could add to the presentation with out having to spend time creating from scratch. I know that you can convert thru accutrans in to .stl files but you loose all the textureing data and have to retexture. A time consuming process with mixed results if you cant seperate layers. A sofa for instace with accent pillows on it or a wooden glider rocker with fabric cushions. And if not, are the folks at Thermwood considering the ability to import some of the .dxf, .dwg, .3ds formats into the part editor that have been around for ever and become so common among file formats into a newer version of ecabnets.
Nick

You can look to others to see your inspiration,
But look no further than yourself,
To find Determination.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: 3d file converting

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nicholas,

A lot of us use a program called Accutrans 3D to do just that. It converts many file formats to stereo lithography format .stl.
You can the import the .stl format into the Display Part Editor to create display objects.
the advantage of Accutrans is the fact that it is only $20

Kerry
Nicholas Slovacek

Kerry,
I know about accutrans. It is a program that I myself use.I mentioned that in the first post; "I know that you can convert thru accutrans in to .stl files but you loose all the textureing data and have to retexture." I came across another program that says it exports in .hsf file format. I was just interested to see if anyone else dropped the 400 bucks into it to see if it worked. Could be really useful to be able to just convert a file with out having to retexture it...
Nick

To find Determination.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Just because something will convert to HSF format does not mean it will be compatible with eCabinets. HSF is a standard which can be, and usually is, enhanced by vendors that use it.

You best bet is to use AccuTrans to convert to STL and import the parts into the Display Part Editor for texturing and conversion into an eCabinets-compatible HSF file.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nicholas,

You would need to find someone that uses the Okino Polytrans program to find out about the textures. Most of the time textures aren't included in a model when you download it and you would have to re-associate textures in the Display Part Editor anyway.
One advantage of the Polytrans program is that it shows to convert 3D Max files .max. There are a lot of great models out there in .max format and Accutrans won't convert them.
George Davidson has been looking into this also. You might want to contact him.

Kerry
Nicholas Slovacek

Dan and Kerry,

Thanks for the info. I knew there was more to the .hsf format. I think it is really just a compression format, the info contained inside still needs to be compatible with the program using it. I just was wondering if anyone tried it or figured out the formula. Idealy ecabinets would be able to import .dxf files and a lot of potential could be opened up for ecabinets...
Nick

To find Determination.