CNC Router

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

CNC Router

Post by leigh mills »

Hi guys, we have just had our CNC Router delivered and i would like to ask you a couple of questions. At the moment we have our CAD on a seperate PC and this is where we make all the Alterations to the drawings and so on, with the new CNC Router would it be possible to have the CAD Running on the PC at the same time as its processing. This would give us the opportunity to gain more space in the workshop. If anyone could help it will be very much appreciated

Leigh
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: CNC Router

Post by Will Williamson »

No do not install your design software on the control .As you know design software is nown to crash your pc from time to time if this occurs while running a part .Well you can fill in the blank as to what happens next. Also do not use your control to surf the net . Your control computer is to store files to be run and to provide operating instructions for your router only
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

point taken thanks will
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

The CNC router is not designed to be running the CAD software. It was specifically designed and tweaked to run just the Thermwood Software. It possibly could with the boost of the graphics card, but I would strongly discourage you in doing so. I would also discourage in installing ANY antivirus software on your CNC router, as most of the antivirus software packages limit and restrict the program's access. We have had some problems with users in the past who have installed antivirus software, and they found out the hard way that it was not a good idea. Usually after installing it, their Thermwood software fails to run because it is being restricted of memory and the only way to get it to run correctly was to reinstall.

Another reason why I would not recommend installing the CAD software on the CNC is because if by chance the computer fails on the router, not only have you lost your CNC files, but you also lost your design files as well. Yet another reason that is not really an issue is if you do want to run it on your CNC, is the configuration of the mouse and keyboard. The keyboard on the CNC doesn't have a numeric pad and the mouse is pretty simple; there is no way to both left click and right click at the same time as well as it doesn't have a scroll wheel. It would then be recommended to use another keyboard and mouse.

To keep it plain and simple, DON'T install the CAD software on your CNC.