Doors and drawers (Take 2)

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

Doors and drawers (Take 2)

Post by leigh mills »

Hi guys,
We are just coming to design the doors and drawers and i wondered if someone could help me out? At the moment we create our doors using an alpha cam package, we have around 20 different styles of doors and the style of door can be rectangle, arc or curves or sometimes both. These can also be single panel, double panel and so on, so we have around 300 doors. I have looked at the door and drawer designer and found that you cant put double panels on a door and when doing an arch it will only add an arch to the top. If you could be kind enough to share how you have designed yours i would be very grateful. (Using the MDF doors)
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Doors and drawers

Post by Damon Nabors »

Leigh, you can pull up a display panel of what ever door size you want, then take the panel into the parts editor and create the geometry on the panel and cut it out with a profile tool that you have save or created. It is time consuming, but you can have fun creating new designs.

Here is a crude door example that I just made in a hurry to show you that you can make most any shape.
Attachments
sample mdf door.jpg
sample mdf door.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 10236 times
Damon Nabors
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

thanks damon i thought this would be the only way of doing it, problem is you cant resize. would you not be able to use a back? i would of liked my doors to come up in the door drawer editor really, so is it not possible to create a door and input in the door drawer editor. because by doing my own door i will have to allign it up myself, this isnt a problem for me but the designer may have a few problems trying to put the door in place all the time. Will it be different on the cut list at all?

Leigh
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You can resize...IF you use a cabinet part (like a back panel) instead of a display panel and set constraints on the geometry. :wink:
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Dan
Im not putting down the package at all, i have been very happy with the pakage. Im just asking questions to see if its possible, in case i miss something out, as i dont know the package as well as you guys! sorry if i came accross like this but i assure you i am not thinking in this way. I am setting this up for a company and want to do the best as i can.

Sorry dan
Leigh
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Leigh, your question is valid and users will (hopefully) help you out. Please don't get discouraged.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

leigh mills wrote:Dan
Im not putting down the package at all, i have been very happy with the pakage. Im just asking questions to see if its possible, in case i miss something out, as i dont know the package as well as you guys! sorry if i came accross like this but i assure you i am not thinking in this way. I am setting this up for a company and want to do the best as i can.

Sorry dan
Leigh
It certainly wasn't you Leigh...Gene is the one who puts eCabinets down at every opportunity he gets.

Your questions are always welcome, just as responses that actually contribute to the question being asked are always welcome.

I appologize that you misunderstood the direction of my response.
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Hi guys i have tried this now, looking at your picture you seem to be fine with it. when i enter the profile tool the corners dont seem to miter together, they are just straight! Is ther a way to miter the corners?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I too would like to see improvements in the door/drawer front designer to be more versatile. This has been discussed many times but apparently it isn't getting enough response from enough members (through the feedback in eCabinets) to get the attention it needs for Thermwood to go forward with it. Right now I use a secondary door designer software to get my cut lists. It works OK but I would like it all in eCabinets. Keep asking for it and it will come.

Gene,
The reason HD can change door styles etc so fast is because they are just painting pictures and pricing. they don't have to create the cut list, material list and machine code that eCabinets does. This makes it fast and easy but you can't build off their designs and you can't do anything custom besides putting filler A on Box B and filler C on box D. With them you can't get a cut list, you only get a truckload of cabinets in cardboard boxes to un-crate and install.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Leigh

Can you post some specs on what you are trying to make (tool, geometry, etc) or the door you created and what tool you used to make it?
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Kerry Fullington wrote:I too would like to see improvements in the door/drawer front designer to be more versatile. This has been discussed many times but apparently it isn't getting enough response from enough members (through the feedback in eCabinets) to get the attention it needs for Thermwood to go forward with it. Right now I use a secondary door designer software to get my cut lists. It works OK but I would like it all in eCabinets. Keep asking for it and it will come.

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

We do have plans for making the door/drawer designer more versatile. The question is this, how important is a new door/drawer interface compared to a new line drawing interface, easily attach mouldings in the room layout, along with the many other requests given? Maybe a poll needs to be taken showing a few improvements allowing the users to specify which should come first, second, third, etc...?

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

Jason Susnjara wrote: Maybe a poll needs to be taken showing a few improvements allowing the users to specify which should come first, second, third, etc...?

thanks,

A poll and discussion of potential enhancements is a great idea. This might merit a separate sub-heading in the forum.
leigh mills

Re: Doors and drawers (Take 2)

Post by leigh mills »

I strongly agree also, its a great idea

Leigh
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Doors and drawers (Take 2)

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

Neville Bastian was suggesting something similar in another thread to get a list of improvements. A poll is probably a good way o go about it but the folks that frequent the forum that would see the poll is a rather small sampling of the membership. I don't know a better way to go about this.

As for the list of improvements you listed above, they are all number one on the list,

Kerry
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Hi Kerry,

We do have plans for making the door/drawer designer more versatile. The question is this, how important is a new door/drawer interface compared to a new line drawing interface, easily attach mouldings in the room layout, along with the many other requests given? Maybe a poll needs to be taken showing a few improvements allowing the users to specify which should come first, second, third, etc...?

thanks,[/quote]
Come on Jason you know want them all and needed them yesterday :)