Island/breakfast bar - how do I do it

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

bob magnuson

Island/breakfast bar - how do I do it

Post by bob magnuson »

I have a island to do that has a raised breakfast bar on one side. I am having problems trying to figure out how to hide the 'joint' where the raised area meets the lower portion.

I am really stumped on this, I don't normally have a problem visualizing what I need to do but this has me dazed and confused.

I will attach a couple images, one a screen grab of the 3 main cabinets that make up the island and another screen grab from DeltaCad. I am using DeltaCad to try and help me visualize that is going on. The third image is of an island that has mock columns that I would like to incorporate into this island and use them as the means to hide the joint.

the raised portion of the island is 8" deep and follows the outside edge of the island.

if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
island1.jpg
island1.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
island2.jpg
island2.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
island1.jpg
island1.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
Attachments
island3.jpg
island3.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Island/breakfast bar - how do I do it

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Bob,
Did you do that Island in the photo? I love that design. I like you have been strugling with an island design(my own home).
When you do it all day everyday you kinda get drained. I am doing an arts& crafts/mission style in my own home remodel. I will be stealing parts of that Island design for sure,thanks.........If you go to my web-site, there is a angled island similar to what your trying to do, with the similar columns. I just squared mine with the front of the bar and then ran one side longer to meet the angle, wasnt crazy about it, but couldnt come up with anything else to meet their next to nothing budget
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
bob magnuson

Post by bob magnuson »

Mike, I wish I could claim credit. It was posted on Sawmill Creek. You can find more info here... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78053

Bob
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Hi Bob
Would this be something like you are looking for :?:
Attachments
3-1-08.jpg
3-1-08.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
bob magnuson

Post by bob magnuson »

thanks to everyone. I think I have figured it out. I will post the final results when I get everything finished.