full dados on front edge

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gale Warner

full dados on front edge

Post by Gale Warner »

I am trying to create a fully enclosed box using full dados. I can't figure how to put dados on the front edges
Justin Melhiser

Re: full dados on front edge

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Gale
If you went to construction settings, global settings and changed the cabinet part consrtuction to full dado, you will have to go under each part and change the front construction. If you have any questions feel free to call me.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You shouldn't have to change each part to get tenons on the front edges if you change Global Construction to full dado. If you have face frames just check the "Extend to Face Frames" box (see image below) and it will put tenons on the front edges.

Of course this won't help in what you are trying to do Gale. If I understand correctly you are trying to make a completely enclosed cube with full dado construction for all parts. Since you cannot put a solid front on a cabinet except by adding a Display Panel, you will have to manually create the dadoes on the front panel and the tenons on the front edge of the adjoining cabinet parts.
global Settings.jpg
global Settings.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Justin Melhiser

Dan
Thanks, I forgot about that.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Justin Melhiser wrote:Dan
Thanks, I forgot about that.
Its too late in the day for you to need more coffee and I don't think you're getting that old yet are you? :wink:
Justin Melhiser

DanEpps wrote: Its too late in the day for you to need more coffee and I don't think you're getting that old yet are you? :wink:

I never got my coffee today. That must be my problem.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Ouch!!! You've seen some of my posts when I haven't had enough coffee yet...bad stuff. :lol:
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Gale, if you use a select sheet stock for your face frames you can get a complete cube with dados. If you need to change the size of your cube you must change the size of the face frame part you use as well. Hope this helps.
12 x 12 x 12 CUBE.jpg
12 x 12 x 12 CUBE.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
CUBE EXPLODED.jpg
CUBE EXPLODED.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
Gale Warner

Post by Gale Warner »

While waiting for the sun to rise in Dale, I played around with this box. I physically put dados on the front edges in the part editor, I then tried to add a back panel from another cabimet but the back failed to resise with the rest of the box. (that might have been my inexperience). Then I added a MDF door to the front. It came up too small. I fooled around with it a little, inset it 3/4 in, then I set the reveals of the door to -.375 and there it was. every thing resized together. I don't know if it was the best way but it worked.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If you have more than one cabinet, it is an assembly. In an assembly, each cabinet must be resized separately.

Likewise if you use display panels/boards, they will not resize and must be recreated in the new size required.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Here is my attempt at the "Six Sided Cube". I closed off the "front opening" with a Stretcher with Blind-Dadoes on all four edges. I then used the Adjust Stretcher feature to lock it to the FRONT and to the SIDES.

Don't forget that now, since it is a six sided box, you can manipulate the other joint/part relationships to get the look that you want and then ANY part could be the "FRONT".

Brad
Attachments
12x12x12 Cube.jpg
12x12x12 Cube.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
12x12x12 Cube.hsf
(318.02 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation