Artcam and Thermwood linking

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Artcam and Thermwood linking

Post by Neville Bastian »

I was wondering if anyone is using ArtCam with their Thermwood. My understanding is that it creates GCode straight to the machine from a CSV and bi passes Ecabinets?
I was hoping to get some feedback on the Cabinetmaker inc in ArtCam which reads CSVs created by other kitchen programs. There I said it again Gene. :lol:

I have a current door program that uses a excel spreadsheets to create a file that is read to post processor program for my mdf door routering. Seems the Ecabinet door program leaves a bit to be desired and will hamper my door design choices. I'm just researching on alternatives apart from Panelmatrix. Mdf doors is a major part of my construction and is well accepted in my area.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Re: Artcam and Thermwood linking

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hi Neville...

We use ArtCam a good bit for carvings and a variety of other parts. I'm sorry I don't know what a CSV file is...but ArtCam does write code directly to the machine.

Mark
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

CSV files are just Comma Separated Value files, doing a quick search on the net I found that ArtCam will read CSV files. So in theory a csv file can be read into ArtCam then processed out into g-code that the Thermwood can run.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Guys,
yes csv files is fairly simple coming from excel normally and is what Ecabinets exports as well in cutlist form. If someone was keen the could grab that list and modify it then send it to the Thermwood via Artcam.
I'm not sure on the machining instructions as the must be there somewhere so it knows what tools to use etc. This it does when you want its demo of Cabinetmaker that you can download from Artcams site. It imports a file from...oops almost said another kitchen design program then. Its OK for Ken to mention the name which they have a link to with Thermwood. Anyway you design in that software which exports a csv that ArtCam reads then you can edit at that stage or push it on to its way to the Thermwood.
I'm not really interested in this cabinet box creation as Ecabinets does that well but doing the MDF door patterns via my current software. Hope I have made that a bit clearer.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

My understanding of ArtCam, and bear in mind I haven't used it, but have read extensivly on Cad/Cam is that you have a post processor from ArtCam to the Thermwood that takles the info ond gets it into Thermwood speak, setting tools etc. The ArtCam will take your CSV file of doors and nest them, then the post processor, which if you have installed and are already processing Cad from on your Thermwood, would be setup and output the G-Code.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Forgive my ignorance,
But what is lacking in the eCabinets MDF Door Designer that keeps anyone from using it to create MDF Door Profiles and cutting them using eCabinet files?

Kerry
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Neville, this forum is an eCabinet Systems Forum, not a forum for discussing the functionality of other design software. Ken's posting was an FYI, a head's-up as it were, for users out there that have Thermwood machines and KCDw to know that they now have a job-level link.

ArtCAM uses a post-processor to handle the vectors and point cloud in the native ArtCAM file and convert this information to G & M Code for a specific machine. Therein lies the rub. Postprocessors are specific to machines but the job-level link from eCabinets and now KCDw has the conversion done at the Thermwood Control so no intermediary post processor is needed.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Kerry, as it is now, with a mdf door you only have the option to use two tools, inner and outer, or model the door out. The style door I use takes three cuts just for the inner and one for the outside profile. To cut and average job of about 40 doors (5=4x8 sheets) using a cad program takes about an hour and a half from start to finish including programing. Drawing each door, take it to the part editor, draw each path, and so on easily takes quite a bit longer. Modeling is great for a one of a kind or special doors I don't have a tool for but takes a long time at the machine, about an hour per sheet. It would be great if E-cabs would improve the Mdf door designer but since it works I would rather see some of the other improvements first . Double panel wood doors and raised panel backs for one.
Joe
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Hi Dean,
Just to clarify for me, should this of been posted in the Thermwood section as it relates to getting files cut on a Thermwood or not been posted anywhere on this site.
Thanks
Glenn
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Dean,
I'm getting a little confused with the forum rules. I am allowed to post a question on Artcam in the the Thermwood section but not Ecabinets? I'm not to mention any other design program except KCW because Ken has a link to it or should that be confined to Thermwood forum?
I can see who created that rule, was to stop slagging off on which program has the best feature. Sometimes a cabinetmaker does a thing better than you and you copy it. Your product improves. This rule may stop this constructive suggestions that will improve Ecabinets. My suggestion is that you just edit our posts with xxxxxx on what you don't like then we will will get the hint.
My previous post did not mention KCW so I do feel I'm being jumped on a bit here.

With the door design program its lacking and untill you get it right its like driving a 6 speed Corvette but you can't get past 4th gear. Its almost doing it right but just needs a bit more fine tuning. The basics are the clients need to see the doors visually change quickly from one door design to another globaly and then that door design needs minimal work to get to the Thermwood. Isn't that the crux of Ken's books I have read. Use our brains not our brawn?

If others could say where they thought the door program was lacking, that would be apprecated as it sounds like only a few have a issue with it. If only a few have a issue with it Jason won't improve it.
Thanks

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Thanks for the info Joe,

Kerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Neville,

I have made my wishes very clear to everyone including directly to the programmers what I would like to see in MDF door designer. That being the ability to choose tool sets. If you can layer tools that would solve most issues with designing and routing mdf.

Forrest
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Neville...

I have to agree with your corvette analogy on a variety of things...before I go any further, please don't take this post as negative or down on Thermwood or eCabinets - I love my machine and overall eCabinets performs to the majority of my needs extremely well. However, I am disappointed in a number of things we bring to the table without follow through...the door program - modeling a single or several doors is one thing, but beyond that it isn't productive and it's been well over a year now since the profile modeler was to be updated and integrated into the rolling nest with multiple selections of tools for cutting mdf doors in the nest. Dovetailed drawer boxes....great idea - first to the table....now we're still waiting to be able to modify boxes in order to be competitive with the other styles offered in the market. Stretchers...great addition to the program - but again limited application because we can't modify them in the profile modeler. Puzzle joint face frames - any update on a machine that will edge band them? I have others, but I think the point is made.

Somewhere earlier I saw a post regarding user input...I have to agree with this totally - we need to find out what the majority of users would like to see updated, finished or added and concentrate on making those things as complete and useful as possible.

Again - I hope this post is only seen as "constructive criticism" and encouragement to make a good thing better!

Mark
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mark,

I have been edgebanding the plywood faceframes. You do have to trim some ends by hand but still very fast. SCMI Olympic K208E.

Forrest
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Guys for the replies.
I can see where the Ecabinets with Jason & Ken are heading to. They want to get this program humming along and to have features we can only dream about.

The cold hard facts are that once a feature is written it seems to be ticked off as being completed. Once completed it is never revisited when really it is only when used for a number of hours by hundreds of users that the fine tuning can be suggested. The programmers don't use Ecabinets for real life construction so how can they be expected to improve it. Sometimes people take offense at software improvement. That's my feedback with some recent software. It’s almost like what is a cabinetmaker doing trying to tell me how to suck eggs. They take it you are calling their child ugly. I'm just saying he needs braces and some contact lenses and he will be just fine.

As much as I'd love to kick some butt in telling my friends what Ecabinets new features has over their software I'd rather have what it did now, it did extremely well. In fact it should never ever get a tick of completion as its always involving. It would be great to say this is how Ecabinets treats corner cabinets. This is the control I have. Look how I can change the back etc. Real geeky stuff but there are some smart cookies out there who know how to push their software.

I hope the programming crew can see our side of things and maybe work out a way where they can address our wish list on past features plus introduce new features so the program advances. Maybe a policy could be 12 months after a new item is released, forum comment is asked for improvements to that item. The ones who put in the most effort to document their suggested improvements go on a beta program where they help a programmer fine tune the changes. They get continual updates until it’s done.

Thanks again.
Neville
Neville Australia