Line drawing editor upgrade?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Derek Kruzner

Line drawing editor upgrade?

Post by Derek Kruzner »

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I was wondering if there are plans to upgrade the line drawing editor to produce shop drawings more efficiently. I spoke with an ecab rep at the Vegas AWFS and he said there were a lot of request for better shop drawing capability.

Some considerations: Can we get a landscape view so we can see more detail on a long wall of cabinets?
Text editing, so we can edit our text without having to delete everything and type all over again.
Is there a way we can import our company logos? Or create templates with "Approved by" signature lines
ETC. to make it look like a professional shop drawing?
How is everyone else producing their shop drawings that are submitted to the customer/designer for approval?
Right now, I've created a template in a Word.doc that contains my logo, space for "Job name", approval signatures, etc. that I print out, re-insert into my printer then print my ecab line drawing on top of that. Makes the whole process very time consuming. I'd love to know how I can make this process more efficient and professional looking.

Thanks
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Line drawing editor upgrade?

Post by DanEpps »

There have been numerous threads about improving the Line Drawing Editor. Thermwood has stated that they intend to make numerous improvements in the future--just what improvements are on the list I don't know.

Some of the things you list are possible now.

To get landscape, open the File menu and choose Print Setup. There, change the Page Orientation to landscape.

Many users use a DXF with the approval block and create a "template" job. They then copy this template job and add cabinets, drawings, room layouts, etc to it. There are several threads about this subject as well, some with DXF attachments that you can download and use. Do a search for +line +drawing +editor and you should find them. Be sure to include the + at the beginning of each word. This specifies that the results must contain that word.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I just did a quick search for +title +block and found a number of threads.

Here is one that has a template job like I described earlier:

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... f=3&t=7211

Also, I'm attaching a couple of zipfiles with DXF title blocks that you can import into the Line Drawing Editor. You can modify them as needed.
Attachments
Title Block.zip
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
2 Title Blocks.zip
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Derek Kruzner

Post by Derek Kruzner »

Thanks Dan,

That does help. Hopefully the updated version will contain these improvements and make the LDE simpler to use.
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

Derek, I do what Vince does in the other thread. In a blank job I create a title block with all the info that will be the same. I then named that job Template and on every new job I open then do a save as. Then its just a matter of copy and pasting to all the sheets. I probably got the idea from him in the first place.